Where is setenv in Red Hat 6.2?

Post by Fausto Arinos de A. Barbut » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 07:42:09

Hello, all;

I have Red Hat 6.2 installed on my home computer.
A couple of days ago I tried to run the "setenv"
command and, for my surprise, I got a warning
message saying that there was no such command.
Besides that, there is no entry for "setenv" in
the "man" manuals. However, as I recall, I did
make use of "setenv" in the past with a different
Linux distribuition.

What the heck is going on?

TIA for any hints.

---Fausto

Q: What do you get when you cross ignorance and indifference?
A: I don't know and I don't care.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Where is setenv in Red Hat 6.2?

Post by Shane Turne » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 08:48:28

if I'm not mistaken "setenv" is used in the "C" shell to set environment
variables
and I believe by default Redhat uses the "bash" (at least that's my
experience) shell in which case to
set an environment variable you can just use "VARIABLE=value"
or edit your login to give you the C shell by default.

Shane

Quote:

>Hello, all;

>I have Red Hat 6.2 installed on my home computer.
>A couple of days ago I tried to run the "setenv"
>command and, for my surprise, I got a warning
>message saying that there was no such command.
>Besides that, there is no entry for "setenv" in
>the "man" manuals. However, as I recall, I did
>make use of "setenv" in the past with a different
>Linux distribuition.

>What the heck is going on?

>TIA for any hints.

>---Fausto

>Q: What do you get when you cross ignorance and indifference?
>A: I don't know and I don't care.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Where is setenv in Red Hat 6.2?

Post by Bill Unr » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 09:52:59

]I have Red Hat 6.2 installed on my home computer.
]A couple of days ago I tried to run the "setenv"
]command and, for my surprise, I got a warning
]message saying that there was no such command.
]Besides that, there is no entry for "setenv" in
]the "man" manuals. However, as I recall, I did
]make use of "setenv" in the past with a different
]Linux distribuition.

]What the heck is going on?

setenv is an internal command of the csh or tcsh shells. It is not used by bash or sh.
You are probably using bash now and used to use csh.

Where is setenv in Red Hat 6.2?

Post by Fest » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 11:14:27

>if I'm not mistaken "setenv" is used in the "C" shell to set environment
>variables
>and I believe by default Redhat uses the "bash" (at least that's my
>experience) shell in which case to
>set an environment variable you can just use "VARIABLE=value"
>or edit your login to give you the C shell by default.

Not sure if VARIABLE=value by itself works, but I *know* that:

export VARIABLE=value

works.

--
-- Fester

   We like Roy.
======================================

Where is setenv in Red Hat 6.2?

Post by Fausto Arinos de A. Barbut » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 23:44:50

> ]I have Red Hat 6.2 installed on my home computer.
> ]A couple of days ago I tried to run the "setenv"
> ]command and, for my surprise, I got a warning
> ]message saying that there was no such command.
> ]Besides that, there is no entry for "setenv" in
> ]the "man" manuals. However, as I recall, I did
> ]make use of "setenv" in the past with a different
> ]Linux distribuition.

> ]What the heck is going on?
> setenv is an internal command of the csh or tcsh shells. It is not
> used by bash or sh.
> You are probably using bash now and used to use csh.

    Precisely. I found that out yesterday night.
    Bourne Again Shell has no setenv, C Shell
    does.

    Sorry for taking your time, and thanks.

---Fausto

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:25:36

]Not sure if VARIABLE=value by itself works, but I *know* that:

YEs, it does in bash

]export VARIABLE=value

This assignes the variable AND exxports it so that subshells will be
handed the value as set.
Note that
VARIABLE=value
export VARIABLE
does the same thing.

]works.

Where is setenv in Red Hat 6.2?

Post by spi.. » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:17:23

Quote:> Hello, all;
> I have Red Hat 6.2 installed on my home computer.
> A couple of days ago I tried to run the "setenv"
> command and, for my surprise, I got a warning
> message saying that there was no such command.
> Besides that, there is no entry for "setenv" in
> the "man" manuals. However, as I recall, I did
> make use of "setenv" in the past with a different
> Linux distribuition.
> What the heck is going on?

You're using BASH, aren't you?
BASH doesn't have setenv. It's a csh based shell command. Switch to tcsh and
it'll be there.

|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

Where is setenv in Red Hat 6.2?

Post by Wayne Polloc » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 05:24:17

Note that you can use "set -o allexport" in bash to simulate
the effect of setenc of csh.  After this you don't need export.

-Wayne Pollock

Quote:

> Hello, all;

> I have Red Hat 6.2 installed on my home computer.
> A couple of days ago I tried to run the "setenv"
> command and, for my surprise, I got a warning
> message saying that there was no such command.
> Besides that, there is no entry for "setenv" in
> the "man" manuals. However, as I recall, I did
> make use of "setenv" in the past with a different
> Linux distribuition.

> What the heck is going on?

> TIA for any hints.

> ---Fausto

> Q: What do you get when you cross ignorance and indifference?
> A: I don't know and I don't care.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Where is setenv in Red Hat 6.2?

Post by David Fulto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Setenv is used to set environment variables in the C and TC shells. The bash
command to set a variable is:

VARNAME=value

If you later type export VARNAME or prefix the above command with "export "
then bash will pass that variable to any sub-proccesses, otherwise they will
not get the variable passed to them.

Quote: