Dynamic PPP address in web page

Post by Mark Neil » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Just off the top of my head, I would inseert a shell script of some
sort that pings your machine to see if you are on.  If you are, output a
link with the URL on your machine.  If you aren't, say something about
yourself not being connected at the moment.

Dynamic PPP address in web page

Post by Chip Turn » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

   I've been wanting to set up some kind of system so that a web page on
a static address can point to a web page on my system that's on a dynamic,
PPP address (if I'm connected), but I've not been able to figure out
how to do it.  The ideal situation would be for me to run a script when
I want to update the page so that people who check it out can click a link
and visit my PC, regardless of which address I might have at the moment.

   Thanks in advance!

--

   "Chess is a beautiful * to whom we keep coming back, no matter
    how many times she rejects us." -- Bent Larsen

Post by Robert Ts » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:    I've been wanting to set up some kind of system so that a web page on
: a static address can point to a web page on my system that's on a dynamic,
: PPP address (if I'm connected), but I've not been able to figure out
: how to do it.  The ideal situation would be for me to run a script when
: I want to update the page so that people who check it out can click a link
: and visit my PC, regardless of which address I might have at the moment.

On the static address, I have two home pages, say index1.html and index2.html,
one for if my web server is running, one for if it isn't.

In my /etc/rc.d/rc.local on my personal machine (let's say that is the
dynamic one, since it is not always on), I rsh to the static address to copy
index2.html to index.html. Then in the /etc/rc.d/rc.0 for shutdown, I
rsh to the machine to copy the static one to index.html. The only annoyance
is that you have to wait during boot and shutdown for the rsh to finish.
If the network is really flaky, then you might have to wait for a while.

--Rob
Robert Tsai                           http://rtsai.student.harvard.edu/~rtsai/

1. More page outs than page ins?

Hi,

Would anyone be kind enough to explain to me why systems usually have
more page-outs than page-ins? It has got me stumped for quite some
time. I would think that if 100mb is paged out from memory to disk,
then similarly 100mb should be paged-in back from disk to physical
memory?

Or is my understand of paging-in and paging-out wrong? i.e Page-outs
occur when a page is pushed from main memory to the paging space due
to a variety of reasons (lack of physical memory being one of them)
while page-ins' occur when there is free physical memory and these
pages are pushed back from disk back to the physical memory.

TIA!

2. ramdisk doesn't work when installing

3. PPP and openwin, PPP and dynamic addresses

4. OUICreateProcess() = 1 Error during Oracle Installation in Linux

5. Utility to convert PowerPoint "web pages" into real web pages?

6. S3 Trio3D, how to make it work?

7. Problem with localtime in my dynamic web page

8. Fractint

9. Fastest dynamic web pages?

10. Dynamic IP Updater, please help decipher mistake on web page instructions

11. Web cache: how to force caching dynamic pages?

12. NCOUBSTAMCW - Make dynamic IP available via web page