System command /usr/bin/gunzip -c /usr/man/cat1/date.1.gz exited

System command /usr/bin/gunzip -c /usr/man/cat1/date.1.gz exited

Post by tWd » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

System command /usr/bin/gunzip -c /usr/man/cat1/date.1.gz exited with status 13.

Mnnnnn...

...and all I wanted to do was a...

~$ man date|lessv:!su $PASSWD date 0211194599 >>sickbiosbatteryHOW-TO

But the man command didn't just happen tell me how to get to a live :!
command prompti emulation from within a less session which was invoked on
the stdout of the man command....

 What did I do wrong???

  So I couldn't test the form of:
~$ man date|lessv:!su^M$PASSWD^Mdate 0211194599^M

to make it worth my while to find the pathname of the HOW-TO I'd want to
define $sickbiosbatteryHOW-TO just prior to doing an:
/home/jtwdyp $ export $sickbiosbatteryHOW-TO in an:
case $itWORKED in
yes*)itWORKED="YES";;
esac
case $itWORKED in
YES*)echo "lets make it real please <g>";
echo '~$ man date|lessv:!su^M$PASSWD^Mdate 0211194599^M'>>$sickbiosbatteryHOW-TO;
echo "why can't the man $COMMANDname output always contain";
echo "at least one line containing the full local pathname of the most";
echo "apropiate HOW-TO document AND the command line syntax of how to";
echo "explicitly call up the apropiate [ LaTeX? ] document with the";
echo ' "info" '" system??? And of course"' "$ man info " '"should lead to";
echo "the local path to the HOW-TO on installing the <explitive deleted>";
echo "info system, especialy since some man documents explicitly inform";
echo "the poor innocent former win9x user who is probably looking at some";
echo "OLD book that came with an earlier version of linux that was packaged";
echo "as a"' "complete LINUX kit" '"That somebody paid $29.99 for just before";
echo "the slackware 3.5 was being promoted on alt.os.linux.slackware newsgroup";
echo "and the book thinks man [command name] is my friend...";;
*)$itWORKED="NOT !";;
esac
echo " <sigh>"

|  ~^~   ~^~
|  <?>     <?>               Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|      ^                      J(tWdy)P

System command /usr/bin/gunzip -c /usr/man/cat1/date.1.gz exited

Post by jami » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>...and all I wanted to do was a...

>~$ man date|lessv:!su $PASSWD date 0211194599 >>sickbiosbatteryHOW-TO

>But the man command didn't just happen tell me how to get to a live :!
>command prompti emulation from within a less session which was invoked on
>the stdout of the man command....

> What did I do wrong???

Obviously what you did wrong was try to use 'date' to set the time and
date.  Once upon a time I knew how to do that.  But it's pain in the
ass, and by the time you've reread the man page and figured out which
string you want to use, the time has changed and your clock is off.

  /usr/sbin/netdate 132.163.135.130
  clock -w

--

                "There's a seeker born every minute."

Post by tWd » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Obviously what you did wrong was try to use 'date' to set the time and
> date.  Once upon a time I knew how to do that.  But it's pain in the
> ass, and by the time you've reread the man page and figured out which
> string you want to use, the time has changed and your clock is off.

>   /usr/sbin/netdate 132.163.135.130
>   clock -w

> --

Thanks for the suggestion jamie...

My problem though wasn't that I didn't know about the clock command.

when the cmos battery doesn't keep the RTC running with PC powered down,
then setting the clock won't help much... And if the date/time is wrong
when you run the clock -w it wouldn't help much even if the cmos battery
was up to snuff... Actualy I just wanted to check the syntax of the date
command so I could set the date with the date command so I typed
man date
expecting that I'd be able to get to the :! command prompt that is usualy
obtainable from less by way of invoking vi on the file with the v command

But apearantly it couldn't because less was invoked on the stout of man
rather than on a file...

I was actualy being sarcastic about reaching a command prompt while the
output of a man command was still being displayed when I posted the
mesage you replied to...

AND about how difficult it can be for a relitive newbie to find the right
docs when they need them...

Actualy since I usualy boot linux from dos with loadlin, and since I'm now
running caldera's Dr-dos (which doesn't suffer from that non compliant bios
problem like ms-dos did, I jsut put the date & time commands in my
C:\autoexec.bat and since dos does update the clock when you use it's
date and time commands, And since I don't power down before linux takes its
strart up read on the RTC, I don't have a problem... (though I still need a
new cmos battery, or a motherboard change... haven't decided which yet)

But like I said,

TTTTTTTTTTTT  HH      HH        AA       NN      NN  KK              SSSS
     TT       HH      HH       A  A      NNNN    NN  KK      KK    SS    SS
     TT       HH      HH      AA  AA     NN NN   NN  KK    KK     SS
     TT       HHHHHHHHHH     AAAAAAAA    NN  NN  NN  KK  KK         SSSSS
     TT       HH      HH    AA      AA   NN   NN NN  KKKK  KK            SS
     TT       HH      HH   AA        AA  NN    NNNN  KK      KK   SS    SS
     TT       HH      HH  AA          AA NN      NN  KK        KK   SSSS