CD-ROM installs, then "not a valid block device"?

CD-ROM installs, then "not a valid block device"?

Post by quasimot » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:49:28

I've installed both Debian Potato (twice) and RH7.2 on one of my boxen, but
once installed the CD-ROM is no longer recognized as a valid block
device!?! When attempting to mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom I get
the following error:

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

What????????? I did the install from CD-ROM!!!!!!!!!

System: ASUS TXP4; AMD 233; 128MB RAM; IBM 30GB IDE HDD (installed as
"master" on first IDE channel); CREATIVE LABS 8X IDE CDROM (installed as
"master" on second IDE channel)

--
I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General

CD-ROM installs, then "not a valid block device"?

Post by DaZZ » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:36:47

Quote:>I've installed both Debian Potato (twice) and RH7.2 on one of my boxen, but
>once installed the CD-ROM is no longer recognized as a valid block
>device!?! When attempting to mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom I get
>the following error:

>mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

>What????????? I did the install from CD-ROM!!!!!!!!!

>System: ASUS TXP4; AMD 233; 128MB RAM; IBM 30GB IDE HDD (installed as
>"master" on first IDE channel); CREATIVE LABS 8X IDE CDROM (installed as
>"master" on second IDE channel)

Chances are good that /dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to another device file.

Chances are also that that link is pointing to the wrong device.

Try this

ls -l /dev/cdrom

It _should_ look like this

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Aug 19 19:04 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

If it says anything other then /dev/hdc at the end of the line, there's your
problem.

You can either change the symbolic link to point to the right special device
file by doing the following as root

rm /dev/cdrom
ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/hdc

Or you can try this instead of the mount line you used

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

and see if it works that way.

DaZZa

--
Address in header is spamblocked. ROT13 the following for email replies

Post by quasimot » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 05:10:20

>>I've installed both Debian Potato (twice) and RH7.2 on one of my boxen,
>>but once installed the CD-ROM is no longer recognized as a valid block
>>device!?! When attempting to mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom I get
>>the following error:

>>mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

>>What????????? I did the install from CD-ROM!!!!!!!!!

>>System: ASUS TXP4; AMD 233; 128MB RAM; IBM 30GB IDE HDD (installed as
>>"master" on first IDE channel); CREATIVE LABS 8X IDE CDROM (installed as
>>"master" on second IDE channel)

> Chances are good that /dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to another device
> file.

> Chances are also that that link is pointing to the wrong device.

> Try this

> ls -l /dev/cdrom

> It _should_ look like this

> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Aug 19 19:04 /dev/cdrom ->
> /dev/hdc

> If it says anything other then /dev/hdc at the end of the line, there's
> your problem.

> You can either change the symbolic link to point to the right special
> device file by doing the following as root

> rm /dev/cdrom
> ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/hdc

> Or you can try this instead of the mount line you used

> mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

> and see if it works that way.

UNBELIEVABLE!!! I checked to make sure the link to /dev/hdc was
valid (unlikely to have a broken link under Debian and RH, don't you
think?) prior to your post, since a bad link was my first thought. The link
was fine.

Just to see if I got the same error message, I tried your suggestion to

mounting the drive as before, /dev/cdrom--and it worked!?!

So now I have a mounted CD-ROM, even though it failed to mount after
NUMEROUS attempts to do so (after checking /dev/cdrom, fstab, etc.). NOW it
mounts without having made ANY change to the system. It's just this sort of
phenomenon that makes me wonder sometimes why I bother with computers at
all!

--

Post by Ken Taylo » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 07:33:00

Quote:>I've installed both Debian Potato (twice) and RH7.2 on one of my boxen, but
>once installed the CD-ROM is no longer recognized as a valid block
>device!?! When attempting to mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom I get
>the following error:

>mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

>What????????? I did the install from CD-ROM!!!!!!!!!

>System: ASUS TXP4; AMD 233; 128MB RAM; IBM 30GB IDE HDD (installed as
>"master" on first IDE channel); CREATIVE LABS 8X IDE CDROM (installed as
>"master" on second IDE channel)

>--
>I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
>composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General
>Public License.

I had this same problem with RH 7.2.  RH 6.0 and 6.2 worked fine on
the same PC.  I did some searching on google news and found
discussions that there is a known bug in RH 7.2.  One solution
suggested which works for me...

As root, issue the command "modprobe cdrom" after booting the PC.

Redhat Bugzilla talks about editing /etc/rc.sysinit to include the
modprobe statement.  Tried that but it did not work. Probably got the
syntax off a little.  Will have to try again since I have reinstalled
a couple times till I got the system to my liking.

Ken

Post by DaZZ » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 09:51:55

>UNBELIEVABLE!!! I checked to make sure the link to /dev/hdc was
>valid (unlikely to have a broken link under Debian and RH, don't you
>think?) prior to your post, since a bad link was my first thought. The link
>was fine.

>Just to see if I got the same error message, I tried your suggestion to

>mounting the drive as before, /dev/cdrom--and it worked!?!

>So now I have a mounted CD-ROM, even though it failed to mount after
>NUMEROUS attempts to do so (after checking /dev/cdrom, fstab, etc.). NOW it
>mounts without having made ANY change to the system. It's just this sort of
>phenomenon that makes me wonder sometimes why I bother with computers at
>all!

hehehe. Welcome to computers.

DaZZa's law of Tech Support: When something breaks, it steadfastly refuses to
work until you've called tech support, sat on hold for 45 minutes, listened to
4 recorded announcements, gone through three different automated voice response
queueing systems and finally gotten to talk to a real person.

Then it works fine, and leaves the Tech Support person* up with the line
"Call back when it happens again".

DaZZa

--
Address in header is spamblocked. ROT13 the following for email replies

1. CD-Writer "not a valid block device"

In my system I have an HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 and a Creative DVD-ROM.
I get the DVD to mount, but everytime I try to mount the CD-R it tells me:

/dev/hdb is not a valid block device

I used the CD-R to install the system, so i know it works.
The CD-R is the slave device on the primary controller. so it is hdb.
I can't find any reference to this "not a valid block device" anywhere.

Can anyone help?

2. can't boot on zip disk

3. SCSI CD-ROM setup problems "not a block device"

4. how can I run a script as another user?

5. /dev/fd0 "not a valid block device" ???

6. 64+ Meg memory

7. jaz: "not a valid block device"

8. ACCENTServer UNIX E-Newsletter Vol 1 #3

9. "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device" in Debian 3.0 Woody

10. IDE HD "hdc is not a valid block device"?!

11. "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device"

12. Help "Not a valid block device"

13. mitsumi cd-rom drive not a valid block device