MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Jeff Koc » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know if someone is working on a Linux client for MS
Exchange? My company is going to Exchange in the near future and I
would really like to divorce myself permanently from Windows...

Thanks,
Jeff

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Timothy J. L » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

|Does anyone know if someone is working on a Linux client for MS=20
|Exchange? My company is going to Exchange in the near future and I=20
|would really like to divorce myself permanently from Windows...

Mention to them (especially accounting) that Microsoft Exchange
is a much more expensive mail server than Linux/BSD/whatever with
sendmail/qmail/postfix/whatever and IMAP/POP.

If they are really intent on wasting money on Microsoft Exchange
for mail, then at least get them to turn on IMAP and POP so you
can get at the mail there with any IMAP or POP client like
pine, xfmail, or Netscape Communicator.

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Ken Willia » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

>Does anyone know if someone is working on a Linux client for MS=20
>Exchange? My company is going to Exchange in the near future and I=20
>would really like to divorce myself permanently from Windows...

There isn't anything like Exchange for Linux, but its just a pop client, so
you can use anything.  You won't be able see ms post office messages with
another client though, but the post office is waste because of E-mail now.

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Mik » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

If there is I'd love to hear about it. If you can talk your Exchange
admin into enabling imap or pop3 support you shouldn't have any
problems as these clients already exist for linux. If they insist on
mapi and nothing else, you're hosed. Needless to say, I'm hosed at
work. :(
mike

>Does anyone know if someone is working on a Linux client for MS
>Exchange? My company is going to Exchange in the near future and I
>would really like to divorce myself permanently from Windows...

>Thanks,
>Jeff

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Jeff Koc » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Lee) wrote regarding Re: MS Exchange and Linux:

> |Does anyone know if someone is working on a Linux client for MS=20
> |Exchange? My company is going to Exchange in the near future and I=20
> |would really like to divorce myself permanently from Windows...
> Mention to them (especially accounting) that Microsoft Exchange
> is a much more expensive mail server than Linux/BSD/whatever with
> sendmail/qmail/postfix/whatever and IMAP/POP.
> If they are really intent on wasting money on Microsoft Exchange
> for mail, then at least get them to turn on IMAP and POP so you
> can get at the mail there with any IMAP or POP client like
> pine, xfmail, or Netscape Communicator.

I tried that approach, presenting the case that an IMAP/LDAP solution
would be much cheaper and wouldn't tie the user to any particular
email client. Unfortunately, people tend to stick within their comfort
zone, and since most of our IT department has little to no experince
with Linux/UNIX....

I was just hoping that someone had written, or was working on, a
program that could talk to Exchange in it's native format. After all,
the growth of the WINE project suggests someone could write the MAPI
equivalent for Linux...now if only I could trade in my years in
networking for programming experience.

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Tim Wis » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

You should be able to access your Mail on and Exchange Server with any POP3
or
IMAP 4 client providing the Internet Mail service has been installed. (And
configured correctly,
turning off smtp routing, an anti-spam measure will also leave POP3 and
IMAP4 clients stranded.)

OR

You could get your administrator to install the Microsoft Outlook Web Access
component of
Exchange and you can then access just about everything with a web browser.
This is the approach
I've taken, works quite well with Linux and Netscape Communicator.

Exchange Server actually is not a bad bit of plumbing, although the sight of
an error message
"your information store is corrupted" makes the * run cold.

A system based on open standards has lot to recommend it.

BTW: Anyone know a good Web based email system using Apache and Qmail?

T. Wise

Post by Timothy J. L » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

|BTW: Anyone know a good Web based email system using Apache and Qmail?

What does Microsoft Network Hotmail use?

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Ken Willia » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

>|BTW: Anyone know a good Web based email system using Apache and Qmail?

>What does Microsoft Network Hotmail use?

Its a custom setup on Solaris.  I imagine a lot of perl is used.  I think its
sendmail too.

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Leslie Mikese » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

>BTW: Anyone know a good Web based email system using Apache and Qmail?

If you can get qmail to deliver in a format that an IMAP server
understands you can use imp (http://www.horde.org/imp/) as the
web interface.  You'll also need php3 added to the apache server:
http://www.php3.org.

  Les Mikesell

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Christopher Mahmoo » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

there was an article in LJ this month on a simple web-based pop
client--kind of cool.
-ckm

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Cameron Spitze » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

>>|BTW: Anyone know a good Web based email system using Apache and Qmail?

>>What does Microsoft Network Hotmail use?

>Its a custom setup on Solaris.  I imagine a lot of perl is used.  I think its
>sendmail too.

Look at the headers on a message from Hotmail.  They look like stock
Qmail to me.
Telnet to {mail,mail2,mail3}.hotmail.com:25 and you'll
see some awfully Qmailish looking behavior, too.

Cameron

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Ken Willia » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Look at the headers on a message from Hotmail.  They look like stock
>Qmail to me.
>Telnet to {mail,mail2,mail3}.hotmail.com:25 and you'll
>see some awfully Qmailish looking behavior, too.

I'm not sure then, my mail server search says ? too.
http://mailsearch.particle.net/scan.cgi?server=hotmail.com

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by Dave Edi » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

I have a list of a number of web mail systems on
http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/ITS/dedick.  Scroll down to the web mail clients
section.

>|BTW: Anyone know a good Web based email system using Apache and Qmail?

>What does Microsoft Network Hotmail use?

>--

>Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com
>No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.

MS Exchange and Linux

Post by jzsj0_s_sla.. » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

I've used pop3 w/ netscape to connect to exchange 5.0 (boo, hiss)
without any problems. The only issue I have with this setup is not being
able to access any of the public folders that some people use there. Are
these accessed thru the mapi interface or will imap be able to give me
this functionality? I'm hoping it's not the former, though I'm pretty
sure it will be :( With the Outlook Web Access turned on, is it
available through there?

trying to avoid MS Outlook at all costs!

Cheers,

James.

> >>Does anyone know if someone is working on a Linux client for MS=20
> >>Exchange? My company is going to Exchange in the near future and
I=20
> >>would really like to divorce myself permanently from Windows...

> >There isn't anything like Exchange for Linux, but its just a pop
client, so
> >you can use anything.  You won't be able see ms post office messages
with
> >another client though, but the post office is waste because of E-mail
now.

1. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

Dear all,

I wonder if someone could offer some advice?

Let take a second to explain the network topology we have here - briefly:

Single subnet LAN - comprising NT network with the odd bit of Novell kit.

Our comms machine runs MS Exchange 5.5 and Proxy 2.0 (it also has RRAS for
VPNs but this doesn't work because of the router listed below).

This comms machine is multihomed (I believe this is the term for 2 network
cards) The internal network as above and the external network connects to a
CISCO 760 series ISDN router. This machine is the BDC - the seperate PDC is
also the internal DNS server.

Currently, all internet access works fine via the router. This is using port
address translation to hide all internal IP addresses and present as one.
Exchange happily fires off through the link too - and when connected - our
SMTP feed pushes into the Exchange server. We have 'firewalling' set up on
the router and with MS Proxy.

There are two issues I want to raise.....

1. One problem we have is that MS Exchange brings up the ISDN link every
time an externally destined email is sent - and I don't believe it is
possible to get Exchange to hold the outbound mail and fire it off at
predetermined intervals. This is costing us a fortune.....  We send large
amounts of externally bound email - all quite small - but with the ISDN line
being brought up very often, you can guess what the bill is like (5-10 sends
per hour). When we used modems, this could be achieved because Exchange used
RAS connections which could be limited to 'batch' dial-outs. This no longer
is true for the router setup.

2. We have an ISDN modem which I daresay we could use instead of the router
to give us limited dial-out but then we become reliant upon MS Proxy
firewalling as we loose the router. Is MS Proxy secure enough? (Seriously
please Linux boys and girls :-) )  And will Linux provide the internal IP
address 'hiding' - presenting one address to the outside world? Should we
drop a linux box in between the MS-Proxy/Exchange and the ISDN? Is this hard
to administer/setup as a dedicated firewall.

We want to set up a system with http. ftp etc initialed dialout (MS Proxy)
but not by email (MS Exchange) which we can fire off every couple of hours
or so (We have a batch file which can do this in reverse in order to recieve
our mail).

We need it to be secure (!) or should I say as secure as possible... and it
would be cool if we could get VPN too (MS RRAS flavor) via the ISDN modem as
the router will not handle the encapsulation properly.

Oh and finally, the funds available are very limited, so a big
UNIX/commercial solution is probably prohibitively costly.

All ideas welcome.

Ta everyone

2. NEC Superscript 610plus

3. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

4. HP T4000s tape repositioning problems

5. MS Exchange and Linux

6. silo error

7. Linux <-> MS-Exchange Coexistence

8. problem with graphic s3 / sd6425

9. Linux and MS Exchange Server

10. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

11. Something like MS-Exchange for Linux?

12. MS Exchange for Linux??

13. Goodbye MS Exchange? Alternate Workgroup options on Linux?