my PC doesn't reboot after "reboot" or "ctrl-alt-del"

my PC doesn't reboot after "reboot" or "ctrl-alt-del"

Post by HASDI RODZMANN HASH » Mon, 22 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: hi linuxers

: I use linux since 3 month on my new PC, and it doesn't reboot
: when I press ctrl-alt-del. Since the first version I used on
: this PC (maybe 1.3.20, dunno), It never worked. My PC does the
: shutdown, then stay locked. It sometimes "shutdown" the video
: card (my screen's led begin to flash, indicating it has lost
: the sync), but never goes further.

This happens to me sometimes but ss long as pressing
ctrl-alt-del unmounts all your drives and partitions, you can
safely press the restart button on your box.

Hasdi

my PC doesn't reboot after "reboot" or "ctrl-alt-del"

Post by John Stephe » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>|try

>|shutdown -r now
>|
>|this will cause a reboot -- otherwise it just stops and sits there which
>|is normal.
>|
>|if you want to really reboot after 3 finger salute then you'll have to
>|mess with the rc.xx files in /etc/rc.d/

There have been several reported instances of failure to reboot (even after
shutdown -r) if Linux was invoked froma DOS prompt, or config.sys, with
LOADLIN.  No-one has posted anything that relates to the source of this
problem, or a fix for it.

It is possible that it is motherboard/cpu dependent, as most of the posters
seem to running either a Pentium or a 486/DX4, or a 586 cpu.

-John-

Post by George D » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>: hi linuxers

>: I use linux since 3 month on my new PC, and it doesn't reboot
>: when I press ctrl-alt-del. Since the first version I used on
>: this PC (maybe 1.3.20, dunno), It never worked. My PC does the
>: shutdown, then stay locked. It sometimes "shutdown" the video
>: card (my screen's led begin to flash, indicating it has lost
>: the sync), but never goes further.

>This happens to me sometimes but ss long as pressing
>ctrl-alt-del unmounts all your drives and partitions, you can
>safely press the restart button on your box.

>Hasdi

Except I am at home, and the Linux is at work.  To get to it I have to call
in security as well.

Post by abr.. » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>There have been several reported instances of failure to reboot (even after
>shutdown -r) if Linux was invoked froma DOS prompt, or config.sys, with
>LOADLIN.  No-one has posted anything that relates to the source of this
>problem, or a fix for it.

>It is possible that it is motherboard/cpu dependent, as most of the posters
>seem to running either a Pentium or a 486/DX4, or a 586 cpu.

>-John-

        Well, I'm booting from a Linux floppy, not from a DOS prompt
or config.sys, and I have that problem also. It happens 100% of the
time that after shutting down, at the Booting... message, the
computer hangs and I have to hit the reset button.

Karl

"Man hears what he wants to hear,            _/_/     _/      _/  _/
 and disregards the rest."                  _/ _/    _/      _/__/_/
 Paul Simon - "The Boxer"                 _/   _/  _/_/_/  _/     _/

Post by Nuno Serren » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

| There have been several reported instances of failure to reboot (even after
| shutdown -r) if Linux was invoked froma DOS prompt, or config.sys, with
| LOADLIN.  No-one has posted anything that relates to the source of this
| problem, or a fix for it.
|
| It is possible that it is motherboard/cpu dependent, as most of the posters
| seem to running either a Pentium or a 486/DX4, or a 586 cpu.

Just for the record, I load Linux from the DOS prompt with LOADLIN and
all methods of rebooting (be it 'reboot' or CTRL-ALT-DEL) work fine.

Hardware: 486DX2/66mhz, VLB, 8MB RAM, 540MB HD.

 +---------------------_|_-----------------------------------------+

 +-------------------ooO-Ooo---------------------------------------+

Post by Anthony Shipm » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>| There have been several reported instances of failure to reboot (even after
>| shutdown -r) if Linux was invoked froma DOS prompt, or config.sys, with
>| LOADLIN.  No-one has posted anything that relates to the source of this
>| problem, or a fix for it.
>|
>| It is possible that it is motherboard/cpu dependent, as most of the posters
>| seem to running either a Pentium or a 486/DX4, or a 586 cpu.
>Just for the record, I load Linux from the DOS prompt with LOADLIN and
>all methods of rebooting (be it 'reboot' or CTRL-ALT-DEL) work fine.
>Hardware: 486DX2/66mhz, VLB, 8MB RAM, 540MB HD.

I boot Linux from LiLo.  I have 486DX2/66MHz, VLB, AMI Bios, 1.2.13
kernel from Slackware 3.0.  It gets as far as a warm start of the the
bios which then reports a keyboard controller error.  Then I have to hit
the red button.
--
Anthony Shipman                 "You've got to be taught before it's too late,
TUSC Computer Systems Pty Ltd    Before you are six or seven or eight,