Kernel Compile Errors - Error 2

Post by Gary Taylo » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 23:47:46

Hi,

I'm getting various errors when I try to compile a kernel and
want to get a clean start or suggestions on what I've messed up
to cause these errors. If the error occurred at the same spot I
might have a clue as to what to look for in the way of missing
files or incorrect locations, but it seems to move around.

The errors are various but all end in error 2 when doing a make
dep or make bzImage.  I've put more complete and what I hope is
relevant text at
http://www.eskimo.com/~gctaylor/kernel.html

About four months ago I could successfully compile and did about
5-10 for practice and to see how small I could get my kernel,
plus I added support for some VPN stuff I wanted to do.  It has
been working since then but now I decided to try ext3
and started getting these errors.

I've tried using my previously working .config, a clean .config, a
minimally modified .config.
I've done make clean, make mrproper, using sudo
without sudo, as root, su'ing to root. What used to work is cd to
/usr/src/linux and run sudo make xconfig, and then do a sudo make dep, make
clean, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install, etc.

In an attempt to work around the problem I uninstalled the kernel
source with the package program Yast1 and reinstalled a couple of
different times.  I tried to manually install the RPM file(# rpm
-ihv kernel-source.rpm) to rule out Yast1.  I would just get a
tarball of the 2.4.18 and try that but would like to try and stay
within the confines of a stock system if possible.

SuSE 7.30
2.4.10-5-4GB

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

1. kernel error when compiling kernel on 4-stable (after make dep, during make)

Hi,

This is what I get on 2 machines when compiling my kernel on a freebsd
4-stable (cvsupped this morning, and yesterday and bothn have the same
problem) system:

cc -c -x assembler-with-cpp -DLOCORE -O -Wall -Wredundant-decls
-Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi
-nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I../../../include  -D_KERNEL -include
opt_global.h -elf  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
../../i386/i386/bioscall.s
/tmp/ccO81277.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccO81277.s:776: Error: operands given don't match any known 386
instruction
/tmp/ccO81277.s:841: Error: operands given don't match any known 386
instruction
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL

What is going wrong ?

AB

--
                                         ____            ___  _______
 Aernoudt Bottemanne                    / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \

2. su problem -- su: Unknown id: root

3. kernel error when compiling kernel on 4-stable (after make dep, d

4. Printer problems, help with lpd

5. kernel error when compiling kernel on 4-stable (after make dep, durin

6. Packet Level ENCRYPTION wanted

7. compiling error with ssh: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

8. Guess How Many Windows Crashes....

9. 2.0.30 compile error [vmlinux] Error 139

10. Still error compiling kde 1.1.1 on Sun Sparc (kdm error)

11. Compile error 2.5.27: [ad1848_lib.o] Error 1

12. 2.4.20-pre4-ac1 patch error and compile error

13. kernal compile error/disk error question