HELP! Installed fonts are making me blind!

HELP! Installed fonts are making me blind!

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 02:38:50

Quote:> Where can I download good fonts for Linux from?

> Can anyone recommend a good, easy-to-read fixed-width font for
> programming?

Search for "X deuglification" on your favourite search engine.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.12:
-> When I was a boy of four*, my father was so ignorant I could
-> hardly stand to have the old man around. But, when I got to be
-> twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven
-> years.
-> - Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Post by Duane Clar » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 04:19:43

> I need some new fixed-width fonts for programming.  The ones that are
> installed on our system (Redhat 6.2 ? ) are eating away at the little
> eyesight I have left.

> Where can I download good fonts for Linux from?

Well, I hate to have to say it, but Microso.. well you know, supplies
some TrueType fonts which work great in RH6.2 for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

To install these, make a directory called
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts. Put the downloaded fonts there. Also,
if you have access to a Windoze installation, then copy all the Windoze
fonts, located in C:\windows\fonts, into the directory. If you have
fonts named chillern.ttf or hollywei.ttf, just delete them.

 From within the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts directory, execute:

# ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
# mkfontdir

Edit /etc/X11/fs/config and add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/winfonts to the
beginning of the list in the catalogue section. Then go to the
/etc/rc.d/init.d directory and restart the font server :

# ./xfs stop

# ./xfs start

Log out of Gnome (or KDE) and back in, and you should have access to the
new fonts.

Quote:

> Can anyone recommend a good, easy-to-read fixed-width font for
> programming?

I use the fixed Adobe Courier 100dpi supplied with Redhat. Looks great
to me. But among the MS TrueType fonts are Courier New (a serif font)
and Andale (a sans-serif font), both of which are fixed fonts that I
find look really good.