SCSI and IDE co-existing

Post by Bruce Prie » Thu, 13 Apr 1995 04:00:00

We've run into a space problem with ourgateway, so to aleviate this we've
decided to add another HD. The machine currently has two IDE drives and
works wonderfully. So we had an Adaptec 1522 controller and a 350 meg HD
lying around and decided to put it in. After a bit of fiddling with things
the drive was finally recognized. But we can't use it. fdisk runs fine and
partitions it, but I can't create the filesystem on the HD. running
mkfs.ext2 will create the inodes, but as soon as it tries to create the rest
of the file system, the machine locks up hard. Absolutely nothing works and
the only option is to hit the reset button. There are no IRQ conflicts or
I/O port conflicts.

I'm sort of at a loss to explain the situation. Any help would be
appreciated as space on the machine is getting mighty low.

Bruce Priebe

Bruce Priebe                    |       insert witty
LaChine, PQ                     |          saying

SCSI and IDE co-existing

Post by Jackie McNa » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: works wonderfully. So we had an Adaptec 1522 controller and a 350 meg HD
: of the file system, the machine locks up hard. Absolutely nothing works and
: the only option is to hit the reset button. There are no IRQ conflicts or
: I/O port conflicts.

: I'm sort of at a loss to explain the situation. Any help would be

Have you tried disabling the BIOS on the 1522 controller?  Worked for me.

1. MFM and IDE co-existing under Linux?

Hello,

I have a 65MB MFM hard-drive that replaced with a 240MB IDE drive some years
ago.

I at one time used both, together under MS-DOZE by using a cripple-ware
driver in my CONFIG.SYS and setting the MFM controller to be on the secondary
address.

This worked ok, but would have many errors...you had to register the driver to
get error-recovery.

Is there support for having IDE and MFM hard-drives co-existing under Linux?
If so, any hints on how to do it?

Help will be appreciated

Sincerely,

Phil

2. SOS!! "unresolved symbol sys_semctl"!!

3. CD-write and ZIP drive co-existing on IDE

4. SCO UUCP Assert errors

5. mishaps with co-existing OSs (Linux and Dos Partitions)

6. modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4

7. SCSI newbie with SCSI/IDE co-existence question

8. wvdial, user permission

9. Co-existing Linux & Win95

10. cron and tar not co-existing

11. x86 Solaris / NT co-existing