'write' won't write; exits immediately.

Post by Jason Whi » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

  I had this problem creap up recently and I'm unable to find the cause.  When
using the write command, the command just exits immediately back to my prompt.
I am writing to myself, currently logged in and have tried writing to a tty
that's present in utmp.  If I do a 'ls | write user tty' I get the message:
  stdin: is not a tty

Anyone know a fix for this?  I am running tcsh 6.04.00 and have not recently
upgraded the kernel (1.2.5) or tcsh; it just started happening.

-Jason
--
       Jason D. White                http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jdwhite

    Iowa State University
Durham Center Operations Staff       Strive for excellence, not perfection.

1. ksh: trap '...' exit int ... or just trap '...' exit?

trap '...' exit int ...

int will cause the script to exit, so '...' get run twice:

#!/bin/ksh

trap 'print a' exit int
sleep 10

^Ca

But the natural exit will always causes '...' to run,
which is often not desired.

So should we always write something like

trap 'print a' exit int
trap - exit
exit 0
?
--
Michael Wang
http://www.unixlabplus.com/

2. firewall

3. Viper 2525 won't read it's writes!

4. Linux and MSN e-mail

5. xv can't write '/tmp/xva00064'

6. Can't get PPPD to work SuSe 6.4

7. 'write' in combination with unix98 pty's

8. *** X WINDOW ***

9. Why doesn't 'write' work??

10. Why Unix people write `...' and not '...' or "..."?

11. 'NFS write error' and number of nfsd's

12. HISTFILE doesn't get written on exit in Bash

13. Xterm didn't write to wtmp when exit