how to hide files in dos ( not seen in windows)

how to hide files in dos ( not seen in windows)

Post by karthikey » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:16:35

Sir,
 I need to hide files in dos(in the dos prompt of win 98)
after hiding files in dos prompt i should not see those files in
windows explorer.
 I tried
  attrib +r +h +s filename
 and
 I am not seeing files in win explorer.
but when i change "show all files" in folder options it is showing
files.

But there was a combination of alt key which makes the filename
something odd  and can't view the filename in  the explorer
(not alt+255) some other combination of ALT key.

don't mistake me.
If anybody knows the combination of the ALT key please help me.
Thks. in adv.
I am having eagerness to know the combination .
 regards,
karthik.

Post by mjt » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:23:37

>  I need to hide files in dos(in the dos prompt of win 98)

... have you COMPLETELY lost it?  x-posting to NG's that
have ZERO to do with the subject matter!??!?!?!?!?
.

how to hide files in dos ( not seen in windows)

Post by Tim Hammerquis » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:42:55

[f'up to (WIN32 ? "NUL" : "/dev/null")]

karthikeyan graced us by uttering:

Quote:> I need to hide files in dos(in the dos prompt of win 98) after
> hiding files in dos prompt i should not see those files in
> windows explorer.
>  I tried
>   attrib +r +h +s filename
>  and
> I am not seeing files in win explorer.  but when i change "show
> all files" in folder options it is showing files.

> But there was a combination of alt key which makes the filename
> something odd  and can't view the filename in  the explorer
> (not alt+255) some other combination of ALT key.

"I tell my Windows machine to do something and it *does* it.
What's wrong?"

Heh.

IAC, it sounds like your trying to cruft up some "security" with
a Win98 box, which is similar to asking corn flakes to observe
the winter solstice at a July 4th BBQ.

Normally I'd tell you to get an OS that's capable of security, or
maybe even WinNT/2k, but seeing as Win98 is actually doing what
you tell it, I'll just toss some salt over my shoulder and fade
back to lurk.

(What'd you expect when you X-post to irrelevant newgroups?)

Cheers,
Tim Hammerquist
--
How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi i done" in a GUI?
    -- discussion in comp.os.linux.misc