Using dd copy image file to make a DOS bootable disk

Using dd copy image file to make a DOS bootable disk

Post by debj.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We are downloading from the web to linux an image file that contains
DOS boot files as well as some other files.  We'd like to use dd to
convert the file to a floppy to make the floppy a DOS bootable disk.

Is this event possible?

dd seems to expand the image file correctly, but the floppy is not
bootable and cannot be accessed by anything other than linux.

Here's the steps we've taken:

1) mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0
2) dd if=disk1.img of=/mnt/floppy

An ls on /mnt/floppy shows all of the exploded files but the floppy
cannot be used to reboot.

OR, is there a way to make a dos bootable disk from linux?
HELP??!!?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Using dd copy image file to make a DOS bootable disk

Post by debj.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We are downloading from the web to linux an image file that contains
DOS boot files as well as some other files.  We'd like to use dd to
convert the file to a floppy to make the floppy a DOS bootable disk.

Is this even possible?

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> We are downloading from the web to linux an image file that contains
> DOS boot files as well as some other files.  We'd like to use dd to
> convert the file to a floppy to make the floppy a DOS bootable disk.

> Is this event possible?

> dd seems to expand the image file correctly, but the floppy is not
> bootable and cannot be accessed by anything other than linux.

> 1) mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0
> 2) dd if=disk1.img of=/mnt/floppy

Oh, just do either of the following stuff:

dd if=image_file of=/dev/fd0
cat image_file > /dev/fd0

Of course, it blindly copies the image to the floppy. You have to
make sure that the floppy is defect free.

Vilmos

Post by John Hasle » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 10:22:23

Quote:debjmay writes:
> We are downloading from the web to linux an image file that contains DOS
> boot files as well as some other files.  We'd like to use dd to convert
> the file to a floppy to make the floppy a DOS bootable disk.

If it is truly an image file you do not want to "convert" it at all.  An
image file is a bit-for-bit copy of the floppy.  Just copy it to the raw
device:

dd if=disk1.img of=/dev/fd0

No need to format or mount the floppy.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

Post by Gordon.Haverl.. » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 22:59:24

>We are downloading from the web to linux an image file that contains
>DOS boot files as well as some other files.  We'd like to use dd to
>convert the file to a floppy to make the floppy a DOS bootable disk.

>Is this event possible?

>dd seems to expand the image file correctly, but the floppy is not
>bootable and cannot be accessed by anything other than linux.

>Here's the steps we've taken:

>1) mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0
>2) dd if=disk1.img of=/mnt/floppy

>An ls on /mnt/floppy shows all of the exploded files but the floppy
>cannot be used to reboot.

>OR, is there a way to make a dos bootable disk from linux?
>HELP??!!?

I would use dd to copy a bootable DOS floppy as an image onto a hard
disk.  Then I would mount that image file using loopback, copy my
files onto the image, umount the file, and use dd to copy this image
back to a new floppy.

Gord

Using dd copy image file to make a DOS bootable disk

Post by debj.. » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 05:16:07

This did it - thanks!!!

Quote: