My xconsole doesn't do anything.

Post by Giovanni Bortoloz » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I was wondering why I never get anything displayed in my xconsole?
>I'm running kernel 2.0.27, RedHat 4.1, and I've installed WindowMaker.
>Also, I'm logging into my system using XDM.

>I expected to be able to see X startup messages, talk requests, and
>definitely the window info that WindowMaker is supposed to give when
>you double right click a title bar.  I don't see anything unless I do
>something like "echo blahblahblah > /dev/console", so it seems to be
>reading the console fine, it's just that nothing ever gets sent to it?

>Any help is greatly appreciated.

In my /etc/syslog.conf I found this tip (Debian):
# The named pipe /dev/xconsole is for the `xconsole' utility.  To use it,
# you must invoke `xconsole' with the `-file' option:
#
#    $ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole [...]
daemon.*;mail.*;news.crit;news.err;news.notice;*.=debug;*.=info; \
*.=notice;*.=warn;cron.none     |/dev/xconsole

Then I start Xfree with (bash):
alias ow='echo "Starting XFree86..." >| /dev/xconsole;startx -- -quiet -bpp \
16 2>|/dev/xconsole'

It's work great for me...i see why a program die and any message it send.

                Bye
                        Giovanni

--

Information is not Knowledge, Knowledge is not Wisdom, Wisdom is not Truth,
Truth is not Beauty, Beauty is not Love, Love is not Music, Music is the best.

1. xconsole doesn't print anything.

I have run "xconsole" so that any messages from applications run from
background menu will be printed. Instead of printing on the X window
console it prints at the text console term. I can see the messages after
I exit from X window.

Any help will be appriciated.
Yon Han Chong                     |
Flow Control and Prediction Group | Tel: + 44 1234 750 111 ext.5356
Cranfield College of Aeronautics  | Fax: + 44 1234 752 149

United Kingdom                    |

2. socket Q: if.ignore?

3. My xconsole doesn't do anything.

4. Ghostview problem

5. Peru rejects MS

6. 'Lock screen' doesn't do anything

7. Modem for Linux ?!

8. cmdtool -C, xconsole: redirection doesn't work

9. XCONSOLE doesn't work??!!

10. xconsole doesn't have effect ???

11. No Imake.tmpl file, xconsole doesn't work

12. xconsole doesn't work