RPM

Post by Carlos Eduardo Viol Barbos » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

        A simple question... How i install a rpm package in directory where i
want?

Carlos Eduardo

RPM

Post by Donovan Rebbec » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>    A simple question... How i install a rpm package in directory where i
>want?

SHort answer : rpm -i --prefix directory foo.rpm

Long answer: This doesn't always work since not all RPMs are relocatable.
The alternative is to get the src.rpm package , modify the .spec file,
and rebuild it

--
Donovan

RPM

Post by BIG O'HEA » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> A simple question... How i install a rpm package in directory where i
> want?

> Carlos Eduardo

USE THE "MKDIR" COMMAND TO MAKE A DIRECTORY...ASSUMMING THAT YOU HAVE
ALREADY VERIFIED THE PROGRAM THAT YOU WANT TO INSTALL...MOVE THE PROGRAM
FROM THE DISK TO THE DIRECTORY YOU CREATED WITH MKDIR COMMAND...EXTRACT
THE PROGRAM FROM WITHIN THE DIRECTORY AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL PROGRAM...NOW
READ THE README FILE AND THE SETUP FILE AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION...I DO
BELIEVE THAT THIS WILL WORK...IF NOT YOU MAY PAY MY WATER
BILL...SMILE...WRITE ME BACK. BIG O'HEAD

1. RPM for Uwin - cannot open file //var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm

Im trying to use the port of RPM for UWin. Unfortunatelly Im having
some problems to get it to work
properly.
   I installed the new version of Uwin (3.1) sucessfully. I also
downloaded RPM 4.0.3 from Wipro site and
installed it. I did the instalation from the root directory (/) using:

$ tar xvf rpm-4.0.3.tar
rpm-4.0.3.tar volume 1 in tar format
usr
usr/bin
usr/bin/rpm.exe
usr/bin/rpm2cpio.exe
usr/local
usr/local/lib
usr/local/lib/rpm
usr/local/lib/rpm/rpmrc
usr/man
usr/man/man8
usr/man/man8/rpm.8
usr/man/man8/rpm2cpio.8
12 files, 1365 blocks

   After that I created the directory  /var/lib/rpm .
   To create the rpm database I execute rpm --initdb . At this point
I get an error:

   $ rpm --initdb
   cannot open file //var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm: No such file or
directory

   At /var/lib/rpm was created the following file:

   $ pwd
   /var/lib/rpm
   $ ls
   packages.rpm

  The same message I get when I execute it using Administrator or su
.

  Thanks for any help,

      Gustavo

2. irq handling code consolidation (alpha part)

3. RPM corrupted, rpm --rebuilddb fails and there is data in the /var/lib/rpm directory

4. qi (the server side of ph) for Linux?

5. RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

6. recalling shellscripts in bash

7. RPM: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

8. chmod doesn't change permissions..

9. How to restore erased rpm data (rpm -e rpm)

10. Fwd: rpm-4.2, rpm-4.1.1, rpm-4.0.5, librpm404-4.0.5 release (finally)

11. Problem with Gnome RPM - Failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

12. Replacing RPM-placed files w/non-RPM files

13. Getting RPM to disallow unsigned RPMs