caldera /etc/passwd troubles? Help!

Post by Vilor Bakenrede » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

After a crash and a reboot, none of the user/password combinations
work!   I booted single user and the following files exist:

/etc/passwd
/etc/passwd-
/etc/shadow
/etc/shadow-

Any ideas?  Our mail is down and I am getting pelted...
thanx

Post by Philip Telli » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> After a crash and a reboot, none of the user/password combinations
> work!   I booted single user and the following files exist:

> /etc/passwd
> /etc/passwd-
> /etc/shadow
> /etc/shadow-

> Any ideas?  Our mail is down and I am getting pelted...
> thanx

Check that all the users exist in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
If they don't, you might have to recreate them, or check if they exist in
/etc/passwd- and shadow- and copy the user lines to the passwd and shadow
files.

Are your users logging in remotely?  Are their terminals allowed to login?
Check in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny

Can't think of anything else right now.

Philip

caldera /etc/passwd troubles? Help!

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>After a crash and a reboot, none of the user/password combinations
>work!   I booted single user and the following files exist:
>/etc/passwd
>/etc/passwd-
>/etc/shadow
>/etc/shadow-
>Any ideas?  Our mail is down and I am getting pelted...

Well look to see what is actually in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow ( were
you actually running shadow passwords?

caldera /etc/passwd troubles? Help!

Post by Vilor Bakenrede » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Thank you very much for your help.

I have determined that the shadow file is bad, but I have a copy that
should work.

Now my problem is that I cannot copy the file over.  Here are the
details...

I can only boot the system as
linux single
or
linux emergency
since I cannot login any other way.
When I do this, the file system is "read-only" so I cannot copy the good
shadow file into /etc/shadow.
How can I start the system single-user and mount the file systems
read-write?  Thanks ALOT for any help!

Post by NF Steve » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Thank you very much for your help.

>I have determined that the shadow file is bad, but I have a copy that
>should work.

>Now my problem is that I cannot copy the file over.  Here are the
>details...

>I can only boot the system as
>linux single
>or
>linux emergency
>since I cannot login any other way.
>When I do this, the file system is "read-only" so I cannot copy the good
>shadow file into /etc/shadow.

There is an option on mount to remount a file system with different
options. Check the man page.

Norman