DCOPserver has stopped running for some users

Post by linu » Thu, 02 May 2002 23:26:43

> Hi,
> I ask for your help!
> I was using knoqueror (KDE2.2) on my linux system (Manrake 8.0) when the
> system adviced me an Error,DCOPsever is not running, I think it's the
> transmission protocol among KDE applications. I logged out from that
> user session, and I logged in again from Kdm: I cannot getting in  the
> graphical enviroment, it looged me out immediately to the kdm again. If
> I get in as root and everything seems work well. I reboot the system and
> try to get in again as a standard user.. nothing! I go to console as
> normal user and try to do "startx". It says that the DCOPserver is not
> running. As root everything is ok! Somebody knows what happened? Because
> I didn't touch no configuration files.

> Thank you very much,
> Luca

I got the same message and I didn't touch anything, but everything seems
to run.

I'm just concerned what this message may mean too.

Post by Bob Hauc » Mon, 06 May 2002 00:09:41

>> I was using knoqueror (KDE2.2) on my linux system (Manrake 8.0) when the
>> system adviced me an Error,DCOPsever is not running, I think it's the
>> transmission protocol among KDE applications. I logged out from that
>> user session, and I logged in again from Kdm: I cannot getting in  the
>> graphical enviroment, it looged me out immediately to the kdm again.
> I got the same message and I didn't touch anything, but everything seems
> to run.

I recently ran into a problem where if I started a KDE session on my
Solaris machine, then started Blackbox on my Linux machine, the KDE
session on Solaris would start giving "DCOP authentication" errors, and
then if I logged out I could not log back in until I rebooted Solaris.

Turned out the problem was that a startup script (written by me) on the
Linux side was killing the .ICEauthority and .DCOPserver files in my
nfs-mounted home directory.  This caused KDE some brain-damage and the
logout left a kdeinit process running that prevented a new DCOP server
from starting.

Fix was to:

1.  Fix my login scripts.
2.  Log out, log in as root in a console sesssion, kill kdeinit.
3.  Log back in as me.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

1. DCOPserver has stopped running for some users

Hi,
I ask for your help!
I was using knoqueror (KDE2.2) on my linux system (Manrake 8.0) when the system adviced me an Error,DCOPsever is not running, I think it's the transmission protocol among KDE applications.
I logged out from that user session, and I logged in again from Kdm: I cannot getting in  the graphical enviroment, it looged me out immediately to the kdm again.
If I get in as root and everything seems work well.
I reboot the system and try to get in again as a standard user.. nothing!
I go to console as normal user and try to do "startx". It says that the DCOPserver is not running. As root everything is ok!
Somebody knows what happened? Because I didn't touch no configuration files.

Thank you very much,
Luca

2. "EG" is Shawn Grant

3. DCOPserver not running?

4. root access

5. DCOPserver already running

6. FIPS and large HD

7. dcopserver is not running

8. Zip support

9. Apache: Having "/home/user/ do the same as ~user

10. How to stop [1] + Stopped (tty input) message and let prog run

11. stopping "cd .." ....list all our users directories, and STOPPING SPAM!!!

12. Stopping users booting in single user mode (Was Re: What universities use Linux)

13. crond doesn't run for users but runs for root?