Installing Software on RedHat - Newbie Question

Installing Software on RedHat - Newbie Question

Post by Janet Carmicha » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 03:59:03

Hi:

I am very new to Linux. I just installed RedHat 7.2 yesterday.

I would like to install Sun's Java SDK -
J2SDK-1_4_0-1-linux-1386-rpm.bin

I tried typing in rpm -i J2SDK-1_4_0-1-linux-1386-rpm.bin in the
terminal window - the message read manifest:failed appeared.

What have I done incorrectly? Thanks very much!!!

The Linux porting has been a stressful event - so far. Hope things
will get better.

Post by Robert Lync » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 04:27:05

> Hi:

> I am very new to Linux. I just installed RedHat 7.2 yesterday.

> I would like to install Sun's Java SDK -
> J2SDK-1_4_0-1-linux-1386-rpm.bin

> I tried typing in rpm -i J2SDK-1_4_0-1-linux-1386-rpm.bin in the
> terminal window - the message read manifest:failed appeared.

> What have I done incorrectly? Thanks very much!!!

> The Linux porting has been a stressful event - so far. Hope things
> will get better.

This not an rpm, but a kind of "shell archive"; for example at the top
of the non-rpm version of that file I downloaded is:
===
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin
libthread_path=
more <<"EOF"
                       Sun Microsystems, Inc.
                    Binary Code License Agreement

READ THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT AND ANY PROVIDED SUPPLEMENTAL LICENSE
TERMS (COLLECTIVELY "AGREEMENT") CAREFULLY BEFORE OPENING THE SOFTWARE
MEDIA PACKAGE.  BY OPENING THE SOFTWARE MEDIA PACKAGE, YOU AGREE TO
[snip]

(and after a bit, a compressed archive
===
If you do "sh /path/to/J2SDK-1_4_0-1-linux-1386-rpm.bin", you'll
enter a license dialog, after which (if you agree with the license)
it will give you/install for you the rpm.  (I'm not sure which, since
I always install jdk's by hand, using their straight .bin archive.)

In the past the people at Sun seemed unable to correctly package one of
these, so the above may or may not work out of the box.  To be fair to
the Sun people, tho, I believe the instructions as to how to install
this are shown to you at the java.sun.com download site.

HTH. Bob L.
--

Post by Markku Kolkk » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 04:07:00

> I tried typing in rpm -i J2SDK-1_4_0-1-linux-1386-rpm.bin in the
> terminal window - the message read manifest:failed appeared.

> What have I done incorrectly?

You didn't read the installation instructions from
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/install-linux.html

This isn't a normal RPM package, it's a self-extracting archive that
unpacks into a RPM file when it's executed.

--
        Markku Kolkka

1. newbie software install question

If you're installing .tgz packages, use installpkg or pkgtool instead of
unzipping/untarring and manually copying. They will automatically install
stuff where it's supposed to go, and you can use them to remove packages
too.

    I am running KDE on a slack 4.0 box.
    KDE comes at default under /opt/KDE, whrere am I supposed to  untar the
new packages (KDE and other stuff) i Install on my machine?
    I read in some howtos that /usr/local is where the programms should be
found.
    How can I get this done the right way??
    Thanks for an expected answer

    Hubert

2. Video problems with 9600

3. Newbie question regarding installing software / packages

4. Generating passwords for alternate passwd file

5. Newbie software install question

6. mouse problems

7. Newbie software/install question

8. Realadio Player vs Solaris 2.5 SPARC

9. HELP: Newbie question on Redhat 5.2 install on an IBM 325 Server

10. NEWBIE Question: Installing Packages on redhat

11. Newbie - Redhat 4.0 install questions.

12. Linux Redhat Newbie Question on installing files.

13. newbie software install problem