Tape Hang please HELP

Post by Allen Lore » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

        I recently purchased for a 4 Gig dat take unit.  When I use tar on
        it seen to hang after about 1 - 3 minutes. Does anyone have an
        explanation. I have noticied that some wrote to use the bsd mt
        program with the command mt -f /dev/st0 setblk 512 but this didi
        not seem to help.  If this problem is just a matter of upgrading
        it would be nice I am posed to move to salckware 2.3  and elf!
        Thanks for any help you can give me.

1. HELP me please: my SCSI tape hangs up my computer

Last hope: why the store on a SCSI tape hangs up my machine ?

Dear ALL,
do not give to be lost!

I have to set up automatic backup from W'95 and W'98 machines on a
tape on my Linux box. SAMBA package works very well - simply charm - I
can read all my Windoz machines. My problem is: while I'm trying to
write down something on a tape, my computer hungs up very thoroughly
after writing some files -- only button reset put it out from this
thoughtfulness ! Just keys Sh-PgUp and Sh-PgDn work.

But I still can read the tape ...

What I have:
(1) linux 2.0.34, distribution Slackware 3.3.5
(2) storage device is the tape (8 G) which is connected through the
SCSI adapter,
(3) recordable CD (ATAPI, for working with it through "cdrecord", I
have set up SCSI emulation)

That speaks "dmesg":

... skipped ...
hdc: MATSHITA CR-589, ATAPI CDROM drive - enabling SCSI emulation
ATAPI overlap supported: No
hdd: MATSHITA CD-R CW-7582, ATAPI CDROM drive - enabling SCSI emulation
ATAPI overlap supported: No
... skipped ...
aha152x: processing commandline: ok
aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller (s)
aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=11, SCSI ID=7,
reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled,
delay=100, extended translation=disabled
aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
scsi0: Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.18 $
scsi1: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi: 2 hosts.
Vendor: SONY Model: SDT-7000 Rev: 0300
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-ROM CR-589 Rev: GS0H
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-R CW-7582 Rev: 1.10
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
scsi: detected 1 SCSI tape 2 SCSI cdroms total.
... skipped ...

CDR works correctly; "tar" and "dd" hang up my computer; "mt"
(retension, status and other movings) is carried out correctly.

Who knows why ? And what is the reason ? I shall be grateful for any
helps !
If I change SCSI ID for the tape It will help me ?

P.S. The same device works under Windoz'98 ... Tell me whether it's the
reason to work under Windoz ?!... :-(
P.P.S. Even with SCSI emulation disabled any command that writes to
tape hangs up my computer after writing some files.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Running Lsox with the SoundBlaster

3. HELP me please: ny SCSI tape hangs up my computer

4. libgcc.a

5. Netscape Communicator just hangs...and hangs...please help.

6. 3B2/600 SCSI tape boot procedure

7. /////////////Please, Please Help !!! Tape Device Problem\\\\\\\\\\\\

8. buglet in xc version xc+rz (latest version)

9. Hanging tape drives HELP HELP

10. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

11. SCSI Tape hangs when no tape loaded (2.5.6x)

13. NFS please help me please please please sniff