How to be a dial-up SLIP/PPP *server*

Post by Mark Morl » Sun, 23 Jan 1994 05:49:50

Hi All...

Here's what I'd like to do (ideally): User X calls up my Linux box, and
logs into his personal account that has a custom shell.  Then user X
enters a command like "SLIP" or "PPP" which causes invokes all the
appropriate programs to turn his connection into a SLIP or PPP connection.
When the user is finished he/she simply hangs up the connection.

So, is this feasible?  I want people to issue the command from within
their account for billing/tracking reasons.  Is this a problem or do I
have to set up special SLIP accounts for people?  Anyone doing something
similar and care to share some info?

Is there a SLIP FAQ?  (I suspect there is and will look for it right now)
Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Mark

Post by Terry Daws » Sun, 23 Jan 1994 21:57:33

>Is there a SLIP FAQ?  (I suspect there is and will look for it right now)
>Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Check:
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/NET-2-HOWTO
  for the HOWTO file for the Linux Kernel Networking code, and:

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/network-guide/*
  for Olaf Kirch's excellent Network Administration Guide, which describes
  such things as how to configure network applications and provides a general
  introduction to tcp/ip networking.

Terry

--

1. Linux as dial-up ppp server for Win95 dial-up problem

My Linux box is currently a server for dial-up ppp accounts.  However,
users of Win95 must either use a dial-up script or use a terminal
window to login.

They can't just use Win95's Network login window.  Why is that?  I guess
that is has to do with PAP.  Is there a way for me to fix this from the Linux
side so they don't have to use a dial-up script or a terminal window?

--

2. Buying a combination CD-RW/DVD player

3. HOWTO: becoming a dial-up PPP server, enabling PPP login?

4. shortcut folder on kicker? possible?

5. Slip or PPP via dial-in to SCO Unix Server.

6. /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: [ID 702911 daemon.error]

7. Advanced dial-up SLIP/PPP connection management

8. Extra Input Control

9. RE-dialing SLIP/PPP (not dial on demand)

10. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

11. Setting up a Linux for a dial-up slip server

12. i am confused: DIP, SLIP, PPP, TCP ....

13. ppp dial-up to NT4.0-server