Can't chmod /dev/zero to install Java

Post by Jon Bai » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Is there anyway to have Java-Linux NOT use /dev/zero?

I don't have super-user access on the linux system I'm using, but would
like to use java on it.  The install instructions say to chmod /dev/zero
to 666, but since I don't have root access, I would like to somehow
bypass that.

jb

Post by John Got » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Is there anyway to have Java-Linux NOT use /dev/zero?
>I don't have super-user access on the linux system I'm using, but would
>like to use java on it.  The install instructions say to chmod /dev/zero
>to 666, but since I don't have root access, I would like to somehow
>bypass that.

If /dev/zero's not mode 666, its permissions are incorrect.  Tell your sysadmin
to fix them.

--

Senior, EE/Motif Programmer/SysAdmin/Linux Hacker/Amateur Radio Callsign N8QDW

1. bash: can't map '/dev/zero'

  Cron sent me mail with the following message:

   /bin/bash:  can't map '/dev/zero'

  Also in my /var/log/httpd server error log I have the following error
message:

   perl:  can't map '/dev/zero'

 Does anyone know how to correct this problem? I am running RedHat 2.1.
Permissions for /dev/zero are as follows: crw-rw-rw-
 If any further information is needed, I will gladly provide it.

2. Dell Optiplex GX1 and 3Com 3c905

3. mcopy didn't work in Red Hat until `# chmod o+w /dev/fd0'

4. JIS->SHIFT-JIS Conversion

5. problem with '# dd if=/dev/zero of=./file bs=512 count=1032192'

6. Installing a generic CD-ROM

7. Dev's Dev's Dev's

8. - Logfile analysis for Apache 1.2.4 for multiple sites

9. wu-ftpd 2.4, /dev/zero,/dev/tcp problem

10. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

12. Can't open /dev/zero?

13. can't map /dev/zero