dos partition/invalid partition table

Post by Greg Berna » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have a question about disk partition and DOS.  First off, I have an
old 386 system, 8M RAM, hda is a 130M Seagate drive, and hdb is a 40M
Conner drive. (Both drives are IDE.)   I am using Slackware August
1995 CDs and kernel 1.2.8.  This is what happens.

I wanted to have a small DOS partition on the first drive, so I
followed, step by step, the instructions on formatting the disk with a
DOS boot floppy and creating the partition.  Everything was fine and
dandy, I could boot it when I was done so I was OK.  Next, I installed
Linux on the remainder of the disk, using the second disk as /tmp.
Again, fine and dandy.

The problem is that when I reboot the system, I get the message
'Invalid partition table'.  Argh ;-(  So, I did the whole thing again,
got the same message, and just for the fun of it, repeated it and got
the same message.

So, in frustration, I put the DOS partition on the second drive, used
all the first drive for Linux, and voila, it works.  I can't boot DOS
from the second drive, but at least I can see it from Linux - a
compromise at best, because I can imagine there will be times when I
need to boot DOS, and the whole floppy boot...

Anyways, if anybody knows why this is happening and/or can help me
out, I would appreciate some enlightment.

1900 South Norfolk Street        All opinions, if I had any, are my own.
San Mateo CA 94403

Post by Chuck Mart » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> So, in frustration, I put the DOS partition on the second drive, used
> all the first drive for Linux, and voila, it works.  I can't boot DOS
> from the second drive, but at least I can see it from Linux - a
> compromise at best, because I can imagine there will be times when I
> need to boot DOS, and the whole floppy boot...
> Anyways, if anybody knows why this is happening and/or can help me
> out, I would appreciate some enlightment.

     If you're using LILO to boot, DOS can boot from the second hard
drive.  You just need to include "loader = /boot/any_d.b" (minus the
quotes) in the DOS section of lilo.conf and then run lilo.

                               Chuck

--

1. Invalid partition table after partitioning

RE: Invalid partition table
OS: Caldera OpenLinux

I've seen other people having the same problem as
me, but haven't found the solution.

I ran fips on my 12GB hard disk and shrank my
FAT32 file system down to ~5GB, leaving ~6GB for
Linux. I created root, swap and /usr partitions,
then installed OpenLinux. Everything was cool
until I rebooted.

All I got was a "Invalid Partition table" message.
DOS fdisk and Linux fdisk both recognize my
partitions. My root partition is below the 1024th
cylinder.

If you've had this same problem and fixed it,
please help.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Shrink your HFS and HFS+ partition with GNU Parted

3. Linux on several logical partitions: invalid flag 0000 of partition table 4

4. transparent I/O

5. Help Me: Dos "Invalid partition table" errot

6. Support for Olicom PCI/II 10/100 Ethernet card

7. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

8. C++ shared libraries and inheritance

9. Invalid Partition table

10. LILO complains "Invalid partition table"

11. !! Invalid Partition Table - Problem !!

12. Invalid Partition Table

13. Invalid partition table