fsck.ext2 exited with signal 11?

Post by Michae » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

When the system starts up, it says warning...fsck.ext2 exited with
signal 11. Then it asks for the root password and drops me to a shell. A
manual fsck doesn't work either. I get the same error. What does signal
11 mean?

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>When the system starts up, it says warning...fsck.ext2 exited with
>signal 11. Then it asks for the root password and drops me to a shell. A
>manual fsck doesn't work either. I get the same error. What does signal
>11 mean?

Segmentation violation ... that is a bad one. Since fsck.ext2 runs e2fsck
and e2fsck can require a lot of memory if you've a very large partition ...
how large is it ?

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

Post by Marc Mut » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> When the system starts up, it says warning...fsck.ext2 exited with
> signal 11. Then it asks for the root password and drops me to a shell. A
> manual fsck doesn't work either. I get the same error. What does signal
> 11 mean?

When this error occurs, it is almost always a hardware error! Did you
overclock your CPU? Also check your memory. The reason that this error
comes up when running fsck (or gcc) is that these programs put
considerable stress on the memory and storage subsystems.

Marc

1. Linux fsck.ext2 exited with signal 11

I thought I'd share this story in order my experience with this problem
make
it into the news group archives.

When starting my Linux box the system had to do a routine file system
check
due to the number of mounts maximus.  While checking the drive I
got an ugly error:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at vertual address <address>
current ->tss.cr3  etc....

All sorts of memory address dump information and a final output of

Warning... fsck.ext2 for device /dev/sdc1 exited with signal 11

After trying all sorts of other possible solutions such as a kernel boot

disk and even shutting off the offending HDD I ended up running
a DOS utility called QAPLUS.  I set it up to scour the RAM.and
CPU.

On the first pass it found 7 bad memory addresses on my number 0 strip
of RAM.  A replacement strip solved the problem.

--

Backline Product Support Manager
FTP Software, Technical Support

The best way to cope with change is to
help create it.
                    - Sen. Robert Dole

2. "-Wf,-XNh3000" c compiler flag on IRIX5.3

3. fsck errors on start up - signal 11

4. Memory low

5. mgetty and ppp exit signal 11

6. VIA chipset problems with 2.2?

7. xlcentry exits with signal 11

8. ATTN: newbies - http://mclv.net/animal/linux.htm

9. child pid xxx exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

10. child pid 1263 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

11. eterm exited on signal 11

12. pid 4171 (httpd), uid 2525: exited on signal 11 ??

13. Install exited abnormally -- recieved signal 11 Newsgroups