Netscape subprocess diagnostics

Post by William W. Har » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have problem that occurs in Netscape when I access certain web pages.
I have not been able determine the commonalties between the web pages
that are causing the problem.  When I access certain web pages, mostly
those web pages with some type of web cam on them (but not always), the
page will load fine but after 30 seconds to a minute I will get a window
poping up with the following message:

Netscape: subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)

xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x5XXXX) This line is listed
several times with XXXX incremented on each line.

stderr diagnostics have been truncated

By the time I click OK another window with the same error message opens
up, and another, and another ...

The only way to stop this is to kill -9 the Netscape process.  I did not
have this problem with Netscape 4.02 or initially after I upgraded to
Netscape 4.5.  This started happening about 6 week after I upgraded to
Netscape 4.5.  I am running Red Hat 5.2 and I have not modified the
kernal.  Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this and how I can
fix it?

Never keep up with the Jones's. Drag them down to your level!

Boise, Idaho USA

Post by Andy Pipe » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I have problem that occurs in Netscape when I access certain web pages.
> I have not been able determine the commonalties between the web pages
> that are causing the problem.  When I access certain web pages, mostly
> those web pages with some type of web cam on them (but not always), the
> page will load fine but after 30 seconds to a minute I will get a window
> poping up with the following message:

> Netscape: subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)

I get this problem often using NS 4.5, usually on pages with
Java or some complicated scripting. It may also have
something to do with too many Netscape windows being open,
although I think not.

Other problems with 4.5 involve the task becoming
processor-bound, or the program just shutting down
unexpectedly (the latter problem seems to happen a lot with
the Freshmeat news page).

Unfortunately, I don't know of any solution :-(

Andy

--

Fareham, Hampshire

Netscape subprocess diagnostics

Post by Tim Macint » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm having the same problem, and I have been able to diagnose the
commonalities between the pages - they all contain Java.  In fact, I can
get this problem to consistently occur when I visit ANY page with Java
and hit "Reload" a few times.

A search on the web for "unexpected async reply" turned up a discussion
about gtk, so I'm curious, do you have Gnome installed and if so what
version?  I have the most recent developers version installed and I'm
wondering if this is part of the problem.

I'm really interested in getting to the bottom of this problem as I do a
lot of Java development and this sort of throws a monkeywrench in
things.

> I have problem that occurs in Netscape when I access certain web pages.
> I have not been able determine the commonalties between the web pages
> that are causing the problem.  When I access certain web pages, mostly
> those web pages with some type of web cam on them (but not always), the
> page will load fine but after 30 seconds to a minute I will get a window
> poping up with the following message:

> Netscape: subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)

> xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x5XXXX) This line is listed
> several times with XXXX incremented on each line.

> stderr diagnostics have been truncated

> By the time I click OK another window with the same error message opens
> up, and another, and another ...

> The only way to stop this is to kill -9 the Netscape process.  I did not
> have this problem with Netscape 4.02 or initially after I upgraded to
> Netscape 4.5.  This started happening about 6 week after I upgraded to
> Netscape 4.5.  I am running Red Hat 5.2 and I have not modified the
> kernal.  Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this and how I can
> fix it?

> Never keep up with the Jones's. Drag them down to your level!

> Boise, Idaho USA

Netscape subprocess diagnostics

Post by Lloyd Weehuize » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

I used to get that problem with version 4.05, when I upgraded to 4.08 they
seemed to go away, I haven't tried the 4.51 version yet thou..

Lloyd

Quote:

> I have problem that occurs in Netscape when I access certain web pages.
> I have not been able determine the commonalties between the web pages
> that are causing the problem.  When I access certain web pages, mostly
> those web pages with some type of web cam on them (but not always), the
> page will load fine but after 30 seconds to a minute I will get a window
> poping up with the following message:

> Netscape: subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)

Netscape subprocess diagnostics

Post by root » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Sorry, I wanted to trim this file but it seemed all the text was pertinent.
I'm having the same problem and I'm running SuSE 5.2, kernel 2.0.33,
XFree86 3.3.3.1 (I think, don't know how to check this one, I upgraded
last fall), Netscape 4.51, with FVWM2.

> I'm also having the same problem... since I installed afterstep, licq,
> ->GKT+1.2.1<- and glib... I don't have gnome, i use netscape 4.07 and never
> had problem with it until now...

> JFB

> > I'm having the same problem, and I have been able to diagnose the
> > commonalities between the pages - they all contain Java.  In fact, I can
> > get this problem to consistently occur when I visit ANY page with Java
> > and hit "Reload" a few times.

> > A search on the web for "unexpected async reply" turned up a discussion
> > about gtk, so I'm curious, do you have Gnome installed and if so what
> > version?  I have the most recent developers version installed and I'm
> > wondering if this is part of the problem.

> > I'm really interested in getting to the bottom of this problem as I do a
> > lot of Java development and this sort of throws a monkeywrench in
> > things.

> > > I have problem that occurs in Netscape when I access certain web pages.
> > > I have not been able determine the commonalties between the web pages
> > > that are causing the problem.  When I access certain web pages, mostly
> > > those web pages with some type of web cam on them (but not always), the
> > > page will load fine but after 30 seconds to a minute I will get a window
> > > poping up with the following message:

> > > Netscape: subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)

> > > xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x5XXXX) This line is listed
> > > several times with XXXX incremented on each line.

> > > stderr diagnostics have been truncated

> > > By the time I click OK another window with the same error message opens
> > > up, and another, and another ...

> > > The only way to stop this is to kill -9 the Netscape process.  I did not
> > > have this problem with Netscape 4.02 or initially after I upgraded to
> > > Netscape 4.5.  This started happening about 6 week after I upgraded to
> > > Netscape 4.5.  I am running Red Hat 5.2 and I have not modified the
> > > kernal.  Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this and how I can
> > > fix it?

1. subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)

Hi.
I've got error message  "subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)
                                            warning: type conversion
failed
                                            warning: type conversion
failed"

What does it mean? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance
Andrei.

When replying to e-mail -remove nospam-

2. ppp routing problem

3. SEND DIAGNOSTIC and RECEIVE DIAGNOSTIC RESULT

4. New kernel

5. How to, in a subprocess, have environment of another user?

6. Why is makewhatis telling me it cannot find fetchmailconf?

7. Joining stdout & stderr of subprocess ?

8. gcc 2.7.2 - Large Executable Size

9. Problem with async subprocesses in Emacs on RS6000/AIX

10. How do I hide a subprocess spawned from a bourne shell?

11. executing a subprocess (GLIBC + GCC + Linux)

12. starting a subprocess as if on tty

13. Korn Shell - Unknow aliases in subprocesses