how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Post by Pressestelle der FU-Berli » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello

My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
because of its tree-like file structure.
If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

thanx a lot

Patrick

Post by Bodo Baue » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > Hello

> > My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
> > problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
> > from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
> > because of its tree-like file structure.
> > If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

> > thanx a lot

> > Patrick

> try something as: "tar cf - /origin | (cd /dest; tar xBfpv -)" .

Or try cp -av /origin /dest

Ciao,
        BB
--
Bodo Bauer          S.u.S.E., LLC                    fon +1-510-835 7873

http//www.suse.com  Oakland CA, 94610  USA

Post by Michel Aubr » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hello

> My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
> problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
> from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
> because of its tree-like file structure.
> If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

> thanx a lot

> Patrick

try something as: "tar cf - /origin | (cd /dest; tar xBfpv -)" .

--
m_aubry

Post by Roy Stogn » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
>> problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
>> from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
>> because of its tree-like file structure.
>> If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

>try something as: "tar cf - /origin | (cd /dest; tar xBfpv -)" .

After first loading with a boot disk, mounting the first hard drive as
/origin, and mounting the second hard drive as /dest, of course.

What's the -B option for on that second tar command?
---
Roy Stogner

how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Post by Michael Chernyakhovsk » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software.
My
> > problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
> > from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
> > because of its tree-like file structure.
> > If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

if your origin for example, is allocate on /dev/hda1 and mounted as root
directory (/),
  destination disk is /dev/hdb2/ and mounted as /mnt, You can use follow
command:
cp -Rdvp  /*  /mnt.

Good luck!
--
Michael Chernyakhovsky
NP "Maginfocenter", Magnitogorsk, RF

Post by Jochen Reitzi » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >> My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
> >> problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
> >> from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
> >> because of its tree-like file structure.
> >> If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

> >try something as: "tar cf - /origin | (cd /dest; tar xBfpv -)" .

> After first loading with a boot disk, mounting the first hard drive as
> /origin, and mounting the second hard drive as /dest, of course.

> What's the -B option for on that second tar command?
> ---
> Roy Stogner

I did it once. Just mount the new drive /new. Then change to / and
execute cp -r * /new. If the new drive is connected to a new sda-Id or
hd-Id change the /etc/fstab apropriatly. Good luck

how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Post by Bjornar Ne » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

From the keyboard of Pressestelle der FU-Berlin:

Quote:>Hello

>My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
>problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
>from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
>because of its tree-like file structure.
>If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

>thanx a lot

cp -ax / /mnt/newdisk

|  OS: Linux (SlackWare)        URL: <http://www.linux.no/~bjornar/>  |
|  Phone1: (+47)33396463        Phone2: 94319889                      |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
|   [the Way to Wizardhood is long, winding and fraught with Risks]   |

how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Post by Allen Ashl » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> Roy Stogner
>I did it once. Just mount the new drive /new. Then change to / and
>execute cp -r * /new. If the new drive is connected to a new sda-Id or
>hd-Id change the /etc/fstab apropriatly. Good luck

What happens when cp starts copying /new itself?

how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Post by The Renaissance M » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

] >

] > >
] > > Hello
] > >
] > > My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
] > > problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
] > > from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
] > > because of its tree-like file structure.
] > > If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!
] > >
] > > thanx a lot
] > >
] > > Patrick
] >
] > try something as: "tar cf - /origin | (cd /dest; tar xBfpv -)" .
]
] Or try cp -av /origin /dest

You're missing something critical.  If you're moving the while system,
/origin is going to be /, your new disk is going to be mounted under /,
and you DON"T want to start a recursive copy.

Try this:

cd /
cp -av `ls -A | grep -v "^/dest$"` /dest

Or this:

tar c --exclude /dest -psf - / | (cd /dest; tar xBpsvf -)

--
  phil stracchino          smtp:  alaric at babcom dot com
  terminal cynical boy     http:  slash slash babcom dot com slash alaric

how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Post by The Renaissance M » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

] From the keyboard of Pressestelle der FU-Berlin:
] >Hello
] >
] >My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
] >problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
] >from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
] >because of its tree-like file structure.
] >If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!
] >
] >thanx a lot
] cp -ax / /mnt/newdisk

Make that cp -adx.

--

Post by Jeremy P » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> ] >

> ] > >
> ] > > Hello
> ] > >
> ] > > My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
> ] > > problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
> ] > > from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
> ] > > because of its tree-like file structure.
> ] > > If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!
> ] > >
> ] > > thanx a lot
> ] > >
> ] > > Patrick
> ] >
> ] > try something as: "tar cf - /origin | (cd /dest; tar xBfpv -)" .
> ]
> ] Or try cp -av /origin /dest

> You're missing something critical.  If you're moving the while system,
> /origin is going to be /, your new disk is going to be mounted under /,
> and you DON"T want to start a recursive copy.

> Try this:

> cd /
> cp -av `ls -A | grep -v "^/dest$"` /dest

> Or this:

> tar c --exclude /dest -psf - / | (cd /dest; tar xBpsvf -)

A much easier way would be a modification on the cp -a idea:

cp -av --one-file-system /origin /dest

(assuming of course that /origin and /dest are separate filesystems)

If you have multiple partitions, you'll have to do that will all of them.

--Jeremy

how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Post by Allen Ashl » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have tried various cp options and I can't get a file system to copy.
I started with three separate linux partitions, I was running under one,
and wanted to copy a second version to a third partition. Each partition
was on a separate drive, and no files in the running partition were
involved in the copy. I repeatedly got a segmentation fault error
when the copy came to /dev/... As I understand the options you want
cp -arx /source /copy
I know the tar method will work, but you need extra room around for
the tar file.

how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I like Linux (maybe UNIX in general) as there is always many ways to
solve a problem.  Some co-workers are taking a Linux/UNIX course
through work ... they never understand how/why I can come up with
several ways that they could answer the assignment question.  My
argument is "Its not whether the answer works ... but rather is it the
right way!"

I haven't seen this suggestion yet ... I use it to duplicate work
stations (over a network) BUT it would work just as well to duplicate
hard drives ...

1) Use installation boot/root disks
2) Manually (or otherwise) mount /orig and /dest
   under RamDisk /mnt and /mnt1 (or whatever names suit)
3) cp -av /orig /dest or
   cp -av /mnt /mnt1

I use this along with NFS to copy a "master" workstation to a new
Linux machine then edit the appropriate /etc files.  This does work
much better if you have a standard hardware and partition setup ...
but its not necessary!

Good Luck!

>> ] > > Hello
>> ] > >
>> ] > > My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
>> ] > > problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
>> ] > > from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
>> ] > > because of its tree-like file structure.
>> ] > > If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!
>> ] > try something as: "tar cf - /origin | (cd /dest; tar xBfpv -)" .
>> ] Or try cp -av /origin /dest
>> You're missing something critical.  If you're moving the while system,
>> /origin is going to be /, your new disk is going to be mounted under /,
>> and you DON"T want to start a recursive copy.
>> Try this:
>> cd /
>> cp -av `ls -A | grep -v "^/dest$"` /dest
>> Or this:
>> tar c --exclude /dest -psf - / | (cd /dest; tar xBpsvf -)
>A much easier way would be a modification on the cp -a idea:
>cp -av --one-file-system /origin /dest
>(assuming of course that /origin and /dest are separate filesystems)
>If you have multiple partitions, you'll have to do that will all of them.

   --------------------------------------
     Doug Mitton
      * In Brockville, Ontario, Canada
        (City of the Thousand Islands!)

      http://mulberry.com/~dmitton
     >>Sorry, SPAM Reduction attempt:
       Remove the "x." from my domain.
   --------------------------------------

how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Post by Stuart R. Full » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

# mount /dev/new-disk /mnt
# dump 0f - / | (cd /mnt; restore xf -)

Jeesh...

        Stu

1. moving Linux, as a whole, from one HD to a new one

I currently have one hard drive that is partitioned into DOS &
Linux.  However, I am outgrowing it and would like to purchase
a new drive.  I'm not sure how I want to split it all up (the
two drives) or even how I can.

Possibly, I would like to move Linux to the new drive and open
up the old Linux partition to DOS (again).  Is this easibly
accomplishable?  That is, can I move all of Linux from one
drive to another?  Also, how easy is to move from HD to HD in
Linux?  Is it as easy as the C:, D:, &c. business in DOS or
is it more subtle?

Your replies would be kind.
--
Randall H. Haley
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt8382b

2. meaning????

3. Linux: two 540 Mb HD or one 1GB HD

4. sound modules

5. how to move linux from one hd to another

6. SLIP on demand?

7. moving linux from one hd to another

8. Running multiple operating systems on one machine

9. Moving Linux from one HD to other

10. Moving from one HD to another...

11. Move OpenBSD from one hd to another (different size)

12. Dos/os2/Linux and 2 hd's one 850, and one 425

13. HD blues.. linux does not see 2nd HD