Linux DR Dos Emulation Mode

Post by pknop » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 01:41:18

When I first started using linux I purchased Caldera Open Desktop, and
they had a really nice DR Dos emulation package installed that would
let you access your local file system in a dos box, as well as format
disks, etc.  I miss this feature in RH 7.X

How can I get the tar or rpm necessary to install DR (or any other
dos) emulation on my RH 7.0 pc.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

NB: Remove _spam from my email address to reply directly

Linux DR Dos Emulation Mode

Post by Lew Pitch » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:56:45

>When I first started using linux I purchased Caldera Open Desktop, and
>they had a really nice DR Dos emulation package installed that would
>let you access your local file system in a dos box, as well as format
>disks, etc.  I miss this feature in RH 7.X

>How can I get the tar or rpm necessary to install DR (or any other
>dos) emulation on my RH 7.0 pc.

IIRC, Freshmeat has pointers to both
- the DOSEMU package (which emulates an environment in which you can run DOS), &
- the FREEDOS package (which is a free implementation of MSDOS/DRDOS)

(DOSEMU _might_ still come with DRDOS or FREEDOS).

Lew Pitcher
IT Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

Linux DR Dos Emulation Mode

Post by Yvan Lorang » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:55:25

> When I first started using linux I purchased Caldera Open Desktop, and
> they had a really nice DR Dos emulation package installed that would
> let you access your local file system in a dos box, as well as format
> disks, etc.  I miss this feature in RH 7.X

> How can I get the tar or rpm necessary to install DR (or any other
> dos) emulation on my RH 7.0 pc.

You need
1  a dos [DR, whatever]
2  dosemu [should be avail with RH] which basically just sets up a virtual
machine in which to run the dos.

--
Merci........Yvan          Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
                               http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

1. DR-DOS and Linux

Hello everone, I just got a Veridata 486SLC notebook with
DR-DOS on it. I wanted to install Linux on about 95Meg of
the total 120Meg so I went through the process as described
in the SLS readme etc (NOTE: I've actually donethis once
before on a 486DX jobby with MS-DOS) and I can get one or the
other to boot but (having set up the DOS partition with the
DR-DOS fdisk);

        If I set up the partitions and save the partition
        table to disk in say Linux, then DR-DOS doesn't boot.

        similarly, if I set it up in DR-DOS, Linux doesn't boot.

I suspect that DR-DOS doesn't have a standard partitioning
scheme similar to OS/2 (see the FAQ)

[Q] has anyone else experienced this with DR-DOS and Linux?

Just thought I'd tell everyone since I haven't seen it
mentioned explicitly.

Andrew Warner
Dept of Physics
Uni. of Wollongong
Wollongong
NSW 2522
Australia

or

2. Suppressing selected messages in make

3. Linux, DR-DOS, and hosed partitions

4. Help with UPS

5. DR-DOS and LINUX at one HDD?

6. Immediate AIX Administrator Position!

7. DR-DOS + WIN95 + Linux tri-booting?

8. Solaris 2.3 -> 2.5 Upgrade. Need to Expand Root Filesystem

9. Clueless: MS-DOS/Win95 won't boot; DR-DOS, Linux, OS/2 will...

10. Bootable Linux CD "no emulation" mode?

11. Partiview Galaxy-sim works on FreeBSD 4.7 in LINUX emulation mode

12. DOS-> linux: emulation/traduction