please HELP: cannot mount iso9660-type, TOSHIBA-CD-ROM

please HELP: cannot mount iso9660-type, TOSHIBA-CD-ROM

Post by Michael Luebbe » Sat, 20 Nov 1993 22:02:11

Hi,

Ive installed the TOSHIBA CD-ROM drive with an DC 193 SCSI-Controller. With
the given *.sys files anything runs fine under DOS.

But if I want to install the CD-ROM under LINUX (ive bought the
INFOMAGIC-CD), I got always the message "ISO9660 not supported by kernel".

I do have recompiled the kernel with the iso9660-Option, I do have verified,
that the corresponding #defines are set in the header files and I do have run

  mknod -m 500 /dev/cdrom b 11 0

as proposed in one of the docs on the UNIX-CD (for heavens sake, I can read it
with DOS!). Ive tried the same procedure several times, always with the same
result.

During boot, there is a testing of SCSI-Devices taking place (thus the
SCSI-option is definetly enabled) but it reports 0 SCSI devices & 0 CD-ROMs.

What is my fault? Sorry, if this is a newbie question being already answered
serveral times. If there are docs or FAQs, dealing with this problem, please
reply.

Bye
Michael Luebbeke

ZEW  Zentrum fuer Europaeische Wirtschaftsforschung
     Center of European Economic Research
     Mannheim, Germany

please HELP: cannot mount iso9660-type, TOSHIBA-CD-ROM

Post by kenneth kle » Tue, 23 Nov 1993 13:42:08

Quote:> Hi,
> I4ve installed the TOSHIBA CD-ROM drive with an DC 193 SCSI-Controller. With
> the given *.sys files anything runs fine under DOS.
> But if I want to install the CD-ROM under LINUX (i4ve bought the
> INFOMAGIC-CD), I got always the message "ISO9660 not supported by kernel".
> I do have recompiled the kernel with the iso9660-Option, I do have verified,
> that the corresponding #defines are set in the header files and I do have run
>   mknod -m 500 /dev/cdrom b 11 0
> as proposed in one of the docs on the UNIX-CD (for heavens sake, I can read it
> with DOS!). I4ve tried the same procedure several times, always with the same
> result.
> During boot, there is a testing of SCSI-Devices taking place (thus the
> SCSI-option is definetly enabled) but it reports 0 SCSI devices & 0 CD-ROMs.
> What is my fault? Sorry, if this is a newbie question being already answered
> serveral times. If there are docs or FAQs, dealing with this problem, please
> reply.

I have a mitsushibe CD-rom drive on an adaptek 1542c controller, and
dos can find it no problem.  I have installed a release of Linux from
CD-ROM.  But I cannot mount the CD_ROM. I can mount my /fd0H1440 floppy
no problem.  But I get the same error msg : iso9660 not supported by kernel,
when I try to mount the CD. I installed everything from the SLS 1.03
distribution. What are we missing here?????
I have a CD with the POWER TOOLS stuff, and I want to get at it.
At startup, the linux system sees the cd device.  Do I need a
more recent release of mount???? Is the SLS release of Linux faulty???
I'll stick with COHER-NOT if Linux cant read the CD!

please HELP: cannot mount iso9660-type, TOSHIBA-CD-ROM

Post by Ian S Ki » Thu, 25 Nov 1993 14:02:49

I have a Mitsumi CDROM mounted in a 386SX machine, and am using the
InfoMagic linux distribution.  In order to read my CDROM in linux, I used
the kernel source located on the CDROM in distribution directory b4, file
lx99p9.tgz, AND applied the patches in that same directory, lxpatch.tgz.
I'm not using lilo, but am booting from a floppy; in order to get the irq
and port settings to work right for the Mitsumi, I edited the mcd.c file to
expressly reference the settings on my machine in the macro #define's at
the top of the file.  However, I noted that the patches seemed to address
the ISO9660 compatibility, too - I have no problems.

I hope this is not 'ancient' technology, in terms of the current patch
level, but it worked for me!

Ian S. King

Pacific Telecom, Inc.
Vancouver, Washington

Post by Harald Mi » Fri, 26 Nov 1993 17:12:56

: > I have a Mitsumi CDROM mounted in a 386SX machine, and am using the
: > InfoMagic linux distribution.  In order to read my CDROM in linux, I used
: > the kernel source located on the CDROM in distribution directory b4, file
: > lx99p9.tgz, AND applied the patches in that same directory, lxpatch.tgz.

What exactly did you do in order to mount the cdrom? Is ISO9660 enabled
in your kernel?

Ciao,
hm

--

| |_| |__ _ _ _ __ _| |__| | |  \/  (_) |___
|  _  / _` | '_/ _` | / _` | | |\/| | | |_ /   I used DOS,
|_| |_\__,_|_| \__,_|_\__,_| |_|  |_|_|_/__|   that's why I use Linux.

1. INSTANT TECH CD-Rom -- cannot mount ! Please help

I faild to get a internal CD ROM drive with AT-Bus interface card
(both from INSTANT TECH: CDAT-300IA, IAT-002SY) working under linux.

Is there anybody out there successfull with a similar CD ROM Hardware?

More details? Here they are:

Hardware (from INSTANT TECH):
-----------------------------

CD ROM DRIVE:
  Type:               CDAT-300IA (double speed)
  Buffer Memory:      64 kBytes
  Format Standard:    CD-ROM Audio Disc
                      CD-ROM Data Disc
                      Multi session Photo CD
                      CD-ROM XA Ready
  Interface:          Proprietary AT-Bus
                      (Sony CD-ROM interface compatible)
  Connector:          34-Pin Header Type Connector

AT-BUS INTERFACE CARD:
  Type:               IAT-002SY
  I/O address:        304H - 307H (default, set by DIP switch)
  DMA:                disabled (default)
                      (DMA1, DMA2, DMA3 optional by DIP switch settings)

Current situation:
------------------
- CD-ROM works under DOS/WINDOWS (GSL Installation Program).

- Under linux: Using kernel v1.2.8 and lilo to boot.
               Disc is inserted in the CD ROM drive.

1. Trying the Sony cdu31a driver:
---------------------------------
   Adding the correspondig append line in /etc/lilo.conf

append = "cdu31a=0x304"

   This results in a long delay when booting with no messages.
   The attempt to mount the CD ROM

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sonycd /cdrom

   leads to

mount: /dev/sonycd is not a block device

   the same for other devices e.g. /dev/cdu535 ...

2. Trying the Sony sonycd535 driver:
------------------------------------
    Adding the correspondig append line in /etc/lilo.conf

append = "sonycd535=0x304"

    This results in following messages when booting

Sony CDU-535: probing base address 304
Sony CDU-535Inquiry command returned status = 0x52
Sony CDU-535 I/F CDROM: "some curious signs" base address 304, using
 65536 byte buffer

    quite a success? What's about the curious signs?

    The attempt to mount the CD ROM

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdu535 /cdrom

    leads to

mount: /dev/cdu535: can't read superblock

    for other devices e.g. /dev/sonycd ... again

mount: /dev/sonycd is not a block device

So, what's wrong?

Any ideas ?

-BP-

2. Filesystem

3. Toshiba 4x CD-Rom, Cannot mount

4. FLOPPY disk problem

5. Cryptoloop backwards compatibility

6. CD-ROM: iso9660 not valid type

7. Using Pipe for

9. Help ! cannot config Toshiba 4X CD-ROM

10. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

11. Can't mount ISO9660 CD-ROM in OSE 5.0