Linux, Sound and the Crystal 4232 sound driver

Linux, Sound and the Crystal 4232 sound driver

Post by Terry F » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Anyone have experience with the Linux sound system and the Crystal
4232 DSP chipset, specifically the "NewClear 3D" ISA sound card.

I have three problems, first is I get a terrible "hissing" noise
when I run linux and the kernel I built for sound support.

Second is I get a terrible "thunk" when sounds are played.

Anyone know of a book, FAQ or something that has up-to-date
details on exactly how the sound subsystem works in Linux?

TIA.

Terry Fry
Baltimore, MD

1. Crystal 4232 sound problem

   When I set up my crystal 4232 with sndconfig (RedHat 7), it is able to
auto detect and test succesfully my soundcard, both midi and regular
sound. However, when I go into GNOME, FAILSAFE, or KDE, it does not work.
The XMMS player does not play at all. I click play and nothing happens, no
errors or nothing. When I play a WAV file, my mouse will move and stop,
move and stop over and over. When I hit ctrl - alt - f1(or and f key),
this message continues over the screen:

Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
ad1848: Auto calibration timed out(3)

Sometimes however, the first second of audio will play (in any program),
but then I am back where I started. Any reasons why sndconfig would play
my sound but not X11?

System:
RedHat 7.0
2.2.16-22
Celeron 300a
224mb
Diamond 3d Stealth 2000 pro (something like that)
Dual boot with windows

Thanks!

James

2. Best diskless Linux terminal?

3. sound-crystal 4232 audio system codec

4. Need DIP switch/jump stgs for Fujitsu M2694ESA

5. Trouble with cs 4232 based sound card

6. OpenOffice and Canon Printers?

7. Crystal 4232 settings

8. Q: want to use non *.XBM Wallpaper: how?

9. Crystal Sound sound card

10. sound with Crystal sound card?

11. Crystal Pnp sound card driver

12. Crystal Sound Drivers?

13. Problem with Crystal Semiconductor sound-driver in 4.1R