Disk problem

Post by david Rambo » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

hello,

By running fsck i've got a bunch of errors like the following one :

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3759614,
sector=1654910
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02, sector 1654910

Moreover  fsck cleared the inode of some files  in /etc/rc* telling me
that they were invalid
so that this debian system (v 1.3.1) won't let me log in.
Does this kind of errors comes from hardware ( damaged disk) or software
( damaged filesystem)
failures ?

Any suggestion will be apreciated.

1. big disk problems - or: big-disk problems?

Hi there!

I have really big problems. I try to set up a 45 GB Western Digital
Caviar 450AA (secondary IDE controller, master-drive). I patched my
machine with the recommended patch cluster which also contains patch no.
110202-01 for the ata-drivers. I am able to fdisk the drive with a
geometry file using fdisk with options. I am also able to partition the
disk with the native solaris 8 x86 format tool. I label the disk - fine
so far. But when I try to build a filesystem on it, newfs terminates wih
errors. I afterwards tried to set up a scsi-disk with 4,1 GB (IBM DCAS
34330). The same problem occured: newfs (as well as mkfs with options)
terminated with the following error message:

mkfs: bad value for size: 0 must be between 1024 and 0
mkfs: size reset to default 0
mkfs: bad value for ntrack: 6 must be between 1 and 0
mkfs: ntrack reset to default 16
seek error on sector -1: invalid argument

That's pretty strange, isn't it? I don't know wheter Solaris x86 is that
different from Solaris SPARC edition. Perhaps I'm too dumb to get this
machine working and should put my fingers off Solaris x86 edition.

Could anybody in this world help me? Or has anybody the same problems?
You know - it's just for my collegues: they are now calling me brad...

Greetings

SERGEJ

2. NIC NIC

3. Try to restore to a 4GB disk from original 2X400MB disks, problems

4. Clock info for Mag MX15F monitor?

5. Disk problems, or at least fs problems

6. routing failure question

7. Two problems: 1) Segmentation faults 2) floppy disk problems

8. Sony CDU55E

9. Disk Problems in ADVFS

10. Help! Hard Disk Problem!

11. 'Root disc problems'

12. Hard Disk problems with 2.4 (Intel)

13. scsi disk problem or kernel wierdness