Binding a process to a processor

Post by Sony Anton » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 16:10:27

I wanted to know if there is any way with the current kernel, if there is
any way to bind/tie a process to a particular processor.
Searching with google took me to some discussions about some non standard
kernel hacks, that enables this functionality. But since they were from
1999, I am not sure if 2.4 series kernel has added this functionality.

If not, can somebody tell if this is to be expected in the coming 2.6 series
kernel.

--sony

Post by Jean-David Beye » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 22:58:46

 > I wanted to know if there is any way with the current kernel, if
 > there is any way to bind/tie a process to a particular processor.
 > Searching with google took me to some discussions about some non
 > standard kernel hacks, that enables this functionality. But since
 > they were from 1999, I am not sure if 2.4 series kernel has added
 > this functionality.
 >
 > If not, can somebody tell if this is to be expected in the coming 2.6
 > series kernel.

We just went through this a coupla weeks ago. Not in the current kernel.
Not likely in future kernels (IMAO: I have no inside knowledge). These
are Symmetric MultiProcessor systems and there is no point in assigning
processes to processors. Per contra, the user is likely to reduce system
throughput by doing such a thing.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.