NFS filesystems don't mount at system start

NFS filesystems don't mount at system start

Post by Dustin Purye » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:50:15

Using: RH6.2 and a Snap! file server.

We want to mount an NFS filesystem at system startup, and have the
following entry in /etc/fstab:

snap2:/apps /apps/snap nfs defaults 0 0

(Note, we have replaced 'defaults' with 'auto,defaults' as a test
already.) When the system boots the NFS filesystem is not mounted. I
have to do:

# mount -t nfs -a

In order to mount it. We need this filesystem mounted before some
other applications try to startup during system start, and so rc.local
doesn't look like a good solution.

I have confirmed that netfs is running:

netfs           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

What do I need to do to get this filesystem mounted when the system
boots?

Regards, Dustin

---

http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Post by S. Par » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 14:39:24

> Using: RH6.2 and a Snap! file server.

> We want to mount an NFS filesystem at system startup, and have the
> following entry in /etc/fstab:

> snap2:/apps /apps/snap nfs defaults 0 0

> (Note, we have replaced 'defaults' with 'auto,defaults' as a test
> already.) When the system boots the NFS filesystem is not mounted. I
> have to do:

> # mount -t nfs -a

> In order to mount it. We need this filesystem mounted before some other
> applications try to startup during system start, and so rc.local doesn't
> look like a good solution.

> I have confirmed that netfs is running:

> 2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

> What do I need to do to get this filesystem mounted when the system
> boots?

> Regards, Dustin

> ---

> http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear In the beginning the Universe was
> created. This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Did you install portmap?

Regards.

Post by Dustin Purye » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:54:09

>> 2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

>> What do I need to do to get this filesystem mounted when the system
>> boots?
>Did you install portmap?

Yes, it's installed. However, I don't see how that would affect NFS
filesystems be mounted on this system at startup?

Regards, Dustin

---

Post by S. Par » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:51:51

>>> 2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

>>> What do I need to do to get this filesystem mounted when the system
>>> boots?
>>Did you install portmap?

> Yes, it's installed. However, I don't see how that would affect NFS
> filesystems be mounted on this system at startup?

> Regards, Dustin

> ---

> http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear In the beginning the Universe was
> created. This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

My mistake. Don't need for clients.
Regards.

1. setuid program don't run from NFS mounted filesystems

I'm running Redhat Linux 4.2 on Intel machines.

I installed Redhat Linux 4.2 on my home computer on local filesystems.
Then I brought the same computer to the lab and tried to mount it to the
existing network via NFS.

However, I cannot run any programs with the setuid permission flag set
from the NFS mounted drives. My exports file on my server should be ok,
it runs with all the other machines, and I extended it to include the
hostname of the new machine. Do I have to give permissions somewhere on
the NFS-server so that the client can run setuid programs?

Thanks for any help.

Andreas Schumann
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
K7L 3N6

Telephone: 1-613-545-6685
Telefax:   1-613-545-6015

2. XFree86 Problems

3. NFS clients don't follow mount point on server to correct file system device

4. ATI Mach 32 (1MB)

5. nfs clients don't see other mounts under nfs export

6. How to redirect?

7. Mounting PC's filesystem as UNIX filesystem with NFS

8. how will the specific task be interrupted in the wait queue?

9. 'Write' to readonly NFS-mounted filesystem?

10. filesystems don't mount

11. Mounting PC filesystems onto a Linux system via NFS

12. Mounted hard drives don't show up on NFS clients.

13. nfs mount problem: mount: can't get address for nfs-server.kauai