client/server version of xmms?

Post by Matt Garma » Thu, 29 May 2003 10:50:05

Is anyone aware of a "client/server version" of xmms?  What I want is to
have xmms's functionality (mostly playing music) in a server
application, and have a client application that interacts with the
server (starting/stopping/pausing a song, playlist manipulation, etc).

This doesn't necessarily have to be xmms, but a workalike (plays MP3,
mods, others, has playlist capabilities).

The main reason I want this is so that I can have my tunes playing, and
logout of X without interruption of music.  In other words, the "server"
would be off doing the real work, unconcerned with X, and, when I'm
ready, I can use an X client (having a text client as well would be nice
;), I can use it to interface with the server.

Anyone (following my train of thought) know if such a beast exists?

--

The given email address is invalid.  Replace the string
"bogus" with "net" to obtain my correct email address.

Post by John » Thu, 29 May 2003 13:17:23

> Is anyone aware of a "client/server version" of xmms?  What I want is to
> have xmms's functionality (mostly playing music) in a server
> application, and have a client application that interacts with the
> server (starting/stopping/pausing a song, playlist manipulation, etc).

> This doesn't necessarily have to be xmms, but a workalike (plays MP3,
> mods, others, has playlist capabilities).

> The main reason I want this is so that I can have my tunes playing, and
> logout of X without interruption of music.  In other words, the "server"
> would be off doing the real work, unconcerned with X, and, when I'm
> ready, I can use an X client (having a text client as well would be nice
> ;), I can use it to interface with the server.

> Anyone (following my train of thought) know if such a beast exists?

Isn't this similar to shoutcast ?

Put your MP3's in one place and run a shoutcast server. Use winamp or
XMMS on the client to play streaming mp3's.

http://www.shoutcast.com/

--

John
----------------------------

Post by alex » Thu, 29 May 2003 20:19:47

> Is anyone aware of a "client/server version" of xmms?  What I want is to
> have xmms's functionality (mostly playing music) in a server
> application, and have a client application that interacts with the
> server (starting/stopping/pausing a song, playlist manipulation, etc).

I run XMMS on my desktop and SSH into it from my Zaurus over the WLAN, and I
can control XMMS like that, with eg 'xmms -f' to skip forward in the
current playlist. But that's not *quite* what you're looking for.

Quote:> The main reason I want this is so that I can have my tunes playing, and
> logout of X without interruption of music.  In other words, the "server"
> would be off doing the real work, unconcerned with X, and, when I'm
> ready, I can use an X client (having a text client as well would be nice
> ;), I can use it to interface with the server.
> Anyone (following my train of thought) know if such a beast exists?

I'm sure I've seen some kind of MP3 jukebox server app that uses PHP and
Apache on the host where the MP3s are played, and is controlled through a
web browser [which can obviously reside on the same host].

For example http://glirnath.sourceforge.net/

or http://www.jwz.org/gronk/

or http://www.swoogan.com/jbox.html

or http://mc-foo.sourceforge.net/

alexd

--

 11:53:12 up 10 days, 12:36,  2 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.08

client/server version of xmms?

Post by rain » Fri, 30 May 2003 00:43:14

Don't know if this is related but I know there is a gaim plugin that lets
one control XMMS from anywhere via a gaim logon.  Try sourceforge for it

Brian

Quote:>> Is anyone aware of a "client/server version" of xmms?  What I want is to

Post by rain » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 00:13:23

Don't know if this is related but I know there is a gaim plugin that lets
one control XMMS from anywhere via a gaim logon.  Try sourceforge for it

Brian

>> Is anyone aware of a "client/server version" of xmms?  What I want is to
>> have xmms's functionality (mostly playing music) in a server
>> application, and have a client application that interacts with the
>> server (starting/stopping/pausing a song, playlist manipulation, etc).

> I run XMMS on my desktop and SSH into it from my Zaurus over the WLAN, and I
> can control XMMS like that, with eg 'xmms -f' to skip forward in the
> current playlist. But that's not *quite* what you're looking for.

>> The main reason I want this is so that I can have my tunes playing, and
>> logout of X without interruption of music.  In other words, the "server"
>> would be off doing the real work, unconcerned with X, and, when I'm
>> ready, I can use an X client (having a text client as well would be nice
>> ;), I can use it to interface with the server.

>> Anyone (following my train of thought) know if such a beast exists?

> I'm sure I've seen some kind of MP3 jukebox server app that uses PHP and
> Apache on the host where the MP3s are played, and is controlled through a
> web browser [which can obviously reside on the same host].

> For example http://glirnath.sourceforge.net/

> or http://www.jwz.org/gronk/

> or http://www.swoogan.com/jbox.html

> or http://mc-foo.sourceforge.net/

> alexd

1. Connecting two machines:; Client only communicate with server when server continuously pings client.

Server:
Linux 2.0.29
Smc Etherez 8149
Loadable module for smc ultra v2.00
Crossover wires or smc hub and store bought cables
No Dns
No Error messages on boot up
No Error messages in logs
No problems networking locally in the server
No problem pinging the client (Linux/win)

Client:
Linux 2.0.29/Win
3com etherlink3 lan+33.6 3C562D/3C563D (pcmcia)
Pcmcia Card Services v2.9.2 or higher to version that supports the card
specifically.
No Dns
No Error messages on boot up
No Error messages in logs
No problems networking locally in the client

Problem:
Unless the Server is continuously pinging clients ip # ,
the client will comunicate with the server for a few moments, then stop.
Once I start pinging the client from the server they communicate fine.

When I run both machines in win with NetBEUI, it runs as smooth as silk.

Thanks Harley

2. MIME problem w/Apache

3. Sex Change - Making Server as Client and Client as Server

4. GCC Mailing List?

5. PopTop VPN Server can see Win98 client but client can't see server

6. ppp persistant conncetion

7. Communication needed between linux server/client to windows client/server

8. sunwabi2-6.so

9. Wanted: Fax Server/client for 95 clients w/ Linux server

10. "client" & "server" versions -- what's the diff?

11. "client" vs. "server" versions -- what's the diff?

12. AIX 4.1.x client/server versions

13. Just Logic/SQL" Database Manager (Client-Server Version)