multiple ethernet cards

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> i am trying to build a transparent firewall/bridge using a linux box and
> i am having trouble getting the machine to recognize both NICs.  they
> are both 3com 3C509s.  i have tried adding the following line to the
> beginning of my lilo.conf:

First of all, I assume that you're not using modules?

If not, then try swapping aroun which card you're trying to have recognized
as eth0 and eth1 - I could only get my two 3c509's to be recognized in one
order.  If I did it the other way, only one would come up, or neither at
all.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre10 i586      | at public servers
Not me, guy. I read the Bash man page each day like a Jehovah's Witness reads
the Bible. No wait, the Bash man page IS the bible. Excuse me...
(More on confusing aliases, taken from comp.os.linux.misc)

multiple ethernet cards

Post by drew » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

i am trying to build a transparent firewall/bridge using a linux box and
i am having trouble getting the machine to recognize both NICs.  they
are both 3com 3C509s.  i have tried adding the following line to the
beginning of my lilo.conf:

append = "ether=0,0,eth1"

and i have also tried giving the following command at the lilo boot:
prompt:

boot: linux ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=12,0x210,eth1

i have tried changing the slots and IRQs of both cards and i have
verified that the cards are not defective.

the last line in my /var/log/messages says something like:

mod eth1: probe failed

sorry i don't have the exact error message, but i can't get to the
machine right now.

the first card is recognized and works fine.

any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
-drew

multiple ethernet cards

Post by Ian Teste » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> i am trying to build a transparent firewall/bridge using a linux box and
> i am having trouble getting the machine to recognize both NICs.  they
> are both 3com 3C509s.  i have tried adding the following line to the
> beginning of my lilo.conf:

> append = "ether=0,0,eth1"

> and i have also tried giving the following command at the lilo boot:
> prompt:

> boot: linux ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=12,0x210,eth1

> i have tried changing the slots and IRQs of both cards and i have
> verified that the cards are not defective.

> the last line in my /var/log/messages says something like:

> mod eth1: probe failed

> sorry i don't have the exact error message, but i can't get to the
> machine right now.

> the first card is recognized and works fine.

> any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

hmm, just had a look at the 'Multiple-Ethernet' mini-HOWTO, and it looks
like this is where you got your information. no? Well, there's a section
on the 3C509's in ISA mode. It says they have some funky auto-detection
logic, but the order of recognition is in ascending order of their
ethernet addresses. Perhaps you have eth0 and eth1 around the wrong way.
Have you tried swapping the parameters for eth0 and eth1? i.e use -

        ether=12,0x210,eth0 ether=5,0x300,eth1

just a thought,
bye

8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------

http://athene.mit.csu.edu.au/~iteste01/         \|\            *8)#

LINUX: because geeks will find a way

1. Machine with multiple ethernet cards to Ethernet Switch (SS20/2.5)

I have a Sparc 20 with 2 ethernet interface cards. Right now only one
card
is being used. I would like to increase the network bandwith by
connecting
each ethernet card to a seperate port on a ethernet switch? If so how
do I set this up?

Thanks
Axel
--
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Axel Schweiger

#------------------The Polar Cap is not a
twist-off---------------------------

2. 4 metres SCSI cable ?!

3. Same irq on multiple ethernet card

4. Ckermit: Anyone have a sample dial-in script?

5. HELP Multiple ethernet cards in bsd box

6. dos2unix on a PC

7. sockets with multiple ethernet cards

8. Extended partitioning

9. multiple ethernet cards

10. Using Multiple ethernet cards

11. multiple ethernet card;s configuration?

12. Question about multiple ethernet cards

13. Multiple ethernet cards and lilo question.