A Russian female student needs a used Linux CDROM

A Russian female student needs a used Linux CDROM

Post by Darya I. Chudov » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Dear Friends,

I am a student in Russia and, unfortunately, it is hard to buy a
relatively new Linux CDROM because Linux is not very popular here.
I would apreciate if someone could send me a used linux cdrom.

Thank you very much for your help!

Dasha Chudova.

A Russian female student needs a used Linux CDROM

Post by Charles L » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Yes, we will air mail you one.

Please email us your shipping address.

Charles Liu
Universal CD-ROM
Leader in reselling Linux CD-ROMs worldwide
www.bigmall.com

408-992-0453

Quote:>Dear Friends,

Post by s. keeli » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >I am a student in Russia and, unfortunately, it is hard to buy a
> >relatively new Linux CDROM because Linux is not very popular here.
> >I would apreciate if someone could send me a used linux cdrom.
> Yes, we will air mail you one.
> Please email us your shipping address.
> Charles Liu
> Universal CD-ROM

You know, there's something about commercial Linux distributors.  You're
all just so damn decent!  Way to (stealthily) leap on a marketing
opportunity, Charles.  I'll keep you in mind for my next purchase.

--
                        Apologies not accepted.  What's your lat & long?

Post by John Steve » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>> >I am a student in Russia and, unfortunately, it is hard to buy a
>> >relatively new Linux CDROM because Linux is not very popular here.
>> >I would apreciate if someone could send me a used linux cdrom.

>> Yes, we will air mail you one.

>> Please email us your shipping address.

>> Charles Liu
>> Universal CD-ROM

>You know, there's something about commercial Linux distributors.  You're
>all just so damn decent!  Way to (stealthily) leap on a marketing
>opportunity, Charles.  I'll keep you in mind for my next purchase.

I shipped her a Slackware 3.0 (no distribution wars, please!) two days
ago.  If all goes well (US mail doesn't*up, Russian Mail doesn't
*up, Address was correct and all. . .) she should be getting it
in two to three weeks time.

If she posts any questions about this particular disk, please do me
a favor and bounce 'em my way.

Thanks,

Post by N'kosi Baruti Tyehimb » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Dear Friends,

> I am a student in Russia and, unfortunately, it is hard to buy a
> relatively new Linux CDROM because Linux is not very popular here.
> I would apreciate if someone could send me a used linux cdrom.

> Thank you very much for your help!

> Dasha Chudova.

This is a great place to get used Linux Distribution CD's for just the
cost of postage.  Talk about free.

Tell all your friends, who may need one.

http://emile.math.ucsb.edu:8000/giveaway.html

Truly Yours,
N'kosi Baruti Tyehimba

There is no personal problem, no matter how great it might seem,
that can't be taken care of with enough high explosives.

Post by Wayn » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >> Yes, we will air mail you one.

> >> Please email us your shipping address.

> >> Charles Liu
> >> Universal CD-ROM

> >You know, there's something about commercial Linux distributors.  You're
> >all just so damn decent!  Way to (stealthily) leap on a marketing
> >opportunity, Charles.  I'll keep you in mind for my next purchase.

> I shipped her a Slackware 3.0 (no distribution wars, please!) two days
> ago.  If all goes well (US mail doesn't*up, Russian Mail doesn't
>*up, Address was correct and all. . .) she should be getting it
> in two to three weeks time.

> If she posts any questions about this particular disk, please do me
> a favor and bounce 'em my way.

> Thanks,

Yet another example of Linux users' hospitality!

Fine job!!! :) :)

Wayne
--
Hit any user to continue.

A Russian female student needs a used Linux CDROM

Post by Allin Cottrel » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> > I shipped her a Slackware 3.0 (no distribution wars, please!) two days
> > ago.  If all goes well (US mail doesn't*up, Russian Mail doesn't
> >*up, Address was correct and all. . .) she should be getting it
> > in two to three weeks time.
> Yet another example of Linux users' hospitality!

Indeed.  I sent one too; I think Dasha may end up with enough
Linux CDs to supply most of Moscow (although the last time
somebody tried to mail me an audio cassette to Moscow it
didn't come through -- let's hope the CDs make it).

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

Post by Wayn » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > > I shipped her a Slackware 3.0 (no distribution wars, please!) two days
> > > ago.  If all goes well (US mail doesn't*up, Russian Mail doesn't
> > >*up, Address was correct and all. . .) she should be getting it
> > > in two to three weeks time.

> > Yet another example of Linux users' hospitality!

> Indeed.  I sent one too; I think Dasha may end up with enough
> Linux CDs to supply most of Moscow (although the last time
> somebody tried to mail me an audio cassette to Moscow it
> didn't come through -- let's hope the CDs make it).

> --
> Allin Cottrell
> Department of Economics
> Wake Forest University, NC

Well, if what she said about Linux being hard to find in Russia, then hopefully all will
make it to her so she can distribute them to friends. :)

Wayne
--
Hit any user to continue.

A Russian female student needs a used Linux CDROM

Post by Duane Elmer Smecker » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Wouldn't it be funny if she meant she couldn't find
a CD Drive.... Now she gets a truckload of disks
with no place to mount them.

Post by Wayn » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Wouldn't it be funny if she meant she couldn't find
> a CD Drive.... Now she gets a truckload of disks
> with no place to mount them.

> > > Indeed.  I sent one too; I think Dasha may end up with enough
> > > Linux CDs to supply most of Moscow

> > Well, if what she said about Linux being hard to find in Russia, then
> > hopefully ...

Well, with 4X CDROMs costing only $29US now-a-days, we could all pitch in and
get her one! :)  I wouldn't mind tossing in a buck or two. :)

Now, if she needed a new computer system, that would be a different story! ;)

Wayne
--
Hit any user to continue.

A Russian female student needs a used Linux CDROM

Post by Alex Chamberla » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Well, with 4X CDROMs costing only $29US now-a-days, we could all pitch in and
>get her one! :)  I wouldn't mind tossing in a buck or two. :)

$29 4X CD-ROM drives?  Where???

--

------ "Don't anthropomorphize computers.  They hate that." ------

Post by Wayn » Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >Well, with 4X CDROMs costing only $29US now-a-days, we could all pitch in and
> >get her one! :)  I wouldn't mind tossing in a buck or two. :)

> $29 4X CD-ROM drives?  Where???

> --

> ------ "Don't anthropomorphize computers.  They hate that." ------

Sorry, That should have been $49.00US.  I misremembered what I read! :)

Anyway, still a good deal.

Global Computer Supplies  1-800-8-GLOBAL
part # GCC93640  internal 4X CDROM drive.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Wayne
--
Hit any user to continue.

1. Students Score Big Opportunities For Learning Using Linux

Here's a follow-up story to something I've posted about in months past.
Wasn't it Flathead or Oujibell that said they'd drop Linux XF like a hot
potato after they tried it? Looks like these kids are having no trouble.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/4306/1/

Quote:
"Being a Catholic School, the St. Mary's educational program is reviewed
yearly by the Diocese. During the last review, the Assistant Principal,
Nancie Rowan mentioned to the Assistant Superintendent of Orlando Diocese,
Sister Linda, that St. Mary's was using Linux in their Technology Lab.
Sister Linda had heard about Linux and asked to take a tour. Baillie
logged into one of the Linux terminals for her and went through the basics
of navigating around the KDE desktop. Sister Linda took it from there and
experimented with the StarOffice word processor and spreadsheet
applications. She also looked at some of the presentations produced by the
students using Presenter. When she was finished she told Baillie that
using the terminals wasn't much different than using her machine
(non-Linux) in her office.

"The students have migrated to Linux much better than Baillie would have
predicted. Many of them had played Java-based client/server Civilization
type games on their PCs at home. Baillie didn't have time to install the
game for them, but didn't stand in their way. While playing games at
school isn't generally thought of as a productive activity, learning how
to set up Freeciv for use over the LAN, with multiple users and client
machines can be a worthwhile project. The students took it upon themselves
to install the game on the server and work out all the permissions and
configuration files that were needed to make it run on the Linux
terminals. "Now they are fearless," Baillie said with a proud tone in his
voice. The students, by the way, were 6th graders. "

2. Why can't I lock mmap'd NFS files? [solaris 2.5.1]

3. Computers for students, by students.

4. BASIC compiler for Linux?

5. OpenLinux Standard: student to student

6. Problems with BIND8.2.2p5 on AIX 4.1

7. Using Russian fonts?

8. Debian v. KDE

9. Using Kmail to write russian koi8 e-mail: PLEASE HELP

10. How can I check spelling in Russian documents(using ispell)?

11. Need Help with Russian fonts and SO

12. Need XKB documentation + French,Russian XKB table

13. Offtopic: I need any Russian BBS phone numbers !!!