Man pages: segmentation fault

Post by m » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have Debian 1.31

It was running smoothly, but now I get a segmentation fault message
when I try to  use the man pages.

The problem appearred after I added 3 more *.deb packages using dselect.

Any thoughts on how I might fix this, or what caused it?

thanks,
mark

(remove "nospm." from return address  to reply)

Post by Jens Ritte » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have Debian 1.31

> It was running smoothly, but now I get a segmentation fault message
> when I try to  use the man pages.

> The problem appearred after I added 3 more *.deb packages using dselect.

> Any thoughts on how I might fix this, or what caused it?

The main thought _I_ have is: What the hell did you install?

Most likely you installed a broken man package.
Which version of man do you use?
(dpkg -s `dpkg -S \`which man\`|gawk '{print $1}' |sed 's/:$//'`
does the trick :-).
Mine is: man-db_2.3.10-38

Check if some libraries are missing: ldd `which man`

HTH,

Jens

---

(during normal european business time hours)

Post by m » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> I have Debian 1.31

>> It was running smoothly, but now I get a segmentation fault message
>> when I try to  use the man pages.

>> The problem appearred after I added 3 more *.deb packages using dselect.

>> Any thoughts on how I might fix this, or what caused it?

>The main thought _I_ have is: What the hell did you install?

netcat,motifnls,and oleo

Quote:>Most likely you installed a broken man package.
>Which version of man do you use?
>(dpkg -s `dpkg -S \`which man\`|gawk '{print $1}' |sed 's/:$//'`
>does the trick :-).
>Mine is: man-db_2.3.10-38

mine is Version: 2.3.10-38   also;     (slick script :)  )

Quote:>Check if some libraries are missing: ldd `which man`

I checked for the required libraries and they all seem to be there

   libdb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libdb.so.1
   libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5

these had symbolic links to:
libc.so.5.4.33
libdb.so.1.85.4

I discovered that Xman still works, but "man" does not.  Just typing "man" gives
a message prompting for the man topic parameter - it doesn't give the error
message.  But any command like  "man help"  or "man man" - any valid
man topic,  gives the segmentation fault.

Thanks  :)

mark

1. Page Faults/Segmentation Faults??

Many postings on this group have suggested that what you are seeing is
the result of a problem with the CPU's external cache. Try disabling
external cache in your BIOS setup.

I had very similar problems that were solved with this method. Of
course, there's a significant performance hit in not using a L2 cache.

Perry

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.en-garde.com/kidpub

2. bind:address already in use

3. Standard man pages to "Catted" man pages!

4. vmware

5. segmentation fault when calling "man"

6. how to use a system-call

7. man & Segmentation fault

8. Win95 network with Solaris7 x86

9. Segmentation fault with 'man'

10. How to format BSD man pages (groff man) using "classical" troff man?

11. Running man pages dump core with a segmentation violation..

12. Compiling *** VIM 5.3 *** Segmentation Fault..what is Seg-Fault..MEM Bounds?

13. man a man page file at unspecified directory