Intellectual property rights

Post by Ed Lewi » Tue, 20 May 2003 10:58:45

Today, I was on the SCO Internet sight and I read that they were
temporarily suspending the Caldera Linux distribution because of
possible property rights dispute with some version of UNIX.
Does anyone know anything about this? I certainly hope that Linux is on
solid ground as I sure would hate to be stuck with Windows.

        Please reply to above address

Intellectual property rights

Post by JP » Tue, 20 May 2003 19:11:27

Quote:> Today, I was on the SCO Internet sight and I read that they were
> temporarily suspending the Caldera Linux distribution because of
> possible property rights dispute with some version of UNIX.
> Does anyone know anything about this? I certainly hope that Linux is on
> solid ground as I sure would hate to be stuck with Windows.

> Please reply to above address

There is loads of information on the net about it, here's one I read
earlier.

JP

--
There are 10 types of people in this world
Those that understand binary and those that don't

Post by Anna Se » Wed, 21 May 2003 03:02:46

> Today, I was on the SCO Internet sight and I read that they were
> temporarily suspending the Caldera Linux distribution because of
> possible property rights dispute with some version of UNIX.
> Does anyone know anything about this? I certainly hope that Linux is on
> solid ground as I sure would hate to be stuck with Windows.

Speaking of Windows, SCO has announced it is going to license UNIX to M$:

What's the idea?  Declare Linux illegal and then make M$ix?

-Anna-

Intellectual property rights

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 21 May 2003 03:24:05

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Today, I was on the SCO Internet sight and I read that they were
> temporarily suspending the Caldera Linux distribution because of
> possible property rights dispute with some version of UNIX.
> Does anyone know anything about this? I certainly hope that Linux is on
> solid ground as I sure would hate to be stuck with Windows.

There's been a big stink raging about this for quite some time. Here are a
few URLs:

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-999261.html?part=dtx&tag=ntop
http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-999371.html
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/cnet/stories/999584.htm
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2134724,00.html
http://www.opensource.org/sco-vs-ibm.html

My personal take on this is that SCO is facing bankruptcy -- their
business prospects aren't that good, and their morals are already in
Chapter 11, so they're making a grab using claims that make a typical
used-car salesperson look like an extraordinarily honest person. (IMHO,
ESR, in the final URL I referenced, does a good job of demolishing many
of SCO's claims.) They're either trying to get some quick cash through an
out-of-court settlement or (more likely) they're looking to get bought by
somebody, either to shut them up or to get the IP rights and carry on the
fight. I suspect they'll lose, if this goes to court -- IBM can afford
more and better lawyers than SCO can, and as I mentioned, I don't believe
they've got much basis for a claim. (OTOH, I am not a lawyer, so take my
opinion with a grain of salt.) The real dangers would be an out-of-court
settlement that would open the door to further claims (from SCO or from
others) or purchase of SCO by Microsoft or some other force that's
hostile to Linux.

In any event, I wouldn't start writing Linux's obituary just yet. Even
SCO's vague claims don't seem to implicate the whole of Linux so badly
that they couldn't be worked around even if SCO won. Even if SCO somehow
managed to outlaw the Linux kernel and perhaps some other open source
tools, there are alternatives, such as the BSDs, the GNU HURD, etc.
Attacking each of these, and any new projects that crop up in the
meantime, would take quite a few years. This might divert resources,
diminish business interest in Linux and open source, and generally be a
pain, but it won't completely kill Linux or other open source OSs.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com

Intellectual property rights

Post by asube » Wed, 21 May 2003 03:33:42

The headline at:

says "SCO to License Unix to Microsoft."

1. Does innovation require intellectual property rights

http://www.reason.com/0303/fe.dc.creation.shtml

March 2003

Creation Myths
Does innovation require intellectual property rights?

By Douglas Clement

".. As for software, Boldrin refers to an MIT working paper by
economists Eric Maskin and James Bessen. Maskin and Bessen write that
"some of the most innovative industries today -- software, computers
and semiconductors -- have historically had weak patent protection and
have experienced rapid imitation of their products .."

".. Moreover, U.S. court decisions in the 1980s that strengthened
patent protection for software led to less innovation. "Far from
unleashing a flurry of new innovative activity," Maskin and Bessen
write, "these stronger property rights ushered in a period of
stagnant, if not declining, R&D among those industries and firms that
patented most." Industries that depend on sequential product
development -- the initial version is followed by an improved second
version, etc. -- are, they argue, likely to be stifled by stronger
intellectual property regimes .."

2. print setup in 2.4.1

3. Intellectual Property Rights

4. RH7 & 3C509 not recognized?

5. Intellectual Property DANGER! (Re: DVD driver)

6. ext2fs not fsck'ing under 1.2.3

7. Proposal: Liberated Intellectual Property Organization (LIPO)

8. I would like mgetty

9. intellectual property and the GPL

10. contamination with UNIX intellectual property and job changes

11. BILL GATES / MICROSOFT CAUGHT STEALING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY !

12. Seminar: GPL versus Intellectual Property

13. Does "intellectual Property" exist?