GnuPG / mailer problem: How to find out where the mailer is wrong ?

GnuPG / mailer problem: How to find out where the mailer is wrong ?

Post by afrien » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:05:07

Hi fellow linuxers,

hope this is not the wrong place to ask this - if it is, just ignore me or
give back a flame that's worth a giggle or two ...,;-)

1. the setting

gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.1  (also tried 1.0.4)
Ximian evolution 1.1.2 Beta 2 (also tried 1.0.8 final)
KMail 1.3.1

2. the problem

I am trying to encrypt to a public key that is somewhat special, in that
it has two User-IDs, one of which does *not* contain an email address,
like this:

uid                            John Doe
sub  4096g/G8456233 2002-08-18 [expires: 2004-08-18]

For KMail this is no problem: If the message is addressed to the exact UID

KMail is unsure about the key to encrypt to, it simply brings up a
selection dialog.

Ximian evolution on the other hand seems to pass something different to
gpg, and as a consequence, in the process of encrypting a message to such
a key, I get an error message back saying that gpg "can't find a valid
recipient". Even typing the recipients exact user-ID does not help.

3. what I have tried

I did a regular expression search in the config files (located in
~/evolution/ ) for terms like 'gpg', but didn't find any clues.

I have tried to 'strace -ff -v -o debug.pid evolution' but this didn't
produce any useful output (e.g. the options that gpg is called up with)

4. the question

What else could I do, or where else could I look in order to find out what
evolution does differently with gpg ?

I really like evolution as it is some of the best integrated solutions,
but without working gpg integration it is useless for me.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments !

Cheers,

Martin

GnuPG / mailer problem: How to find out where the mailer is wrong ?

Post by Frog » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:19:52

a> 1. the setting
a>
a> gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.1  (also tried 1.0.4)
a> Ximian evolution 1.1.2 Beta 2 (also tried 1.0.8 final)
a> KMail 1.3.1
a>
a> 2. the problem
a>
a> I am trying to encrypt to a public key that is somewhat special, in that
a> it has two User-IDs, one of which does *not* contain an email address,
a>
a> Ximian evolution on the other hand seems to pass something different to
a> gpg, and as a consequence, in the process of encrypting a message to such
a> a key, I get an error message back saying that gpg "can't find a valid
a> recipient". Even typing the recipients exact user-ID does not help.

Read the part of the GnuPG man page that describes the 'group' option,
and add an appropriate 'group' command in your $HOME/.gnupg/gpg.conf
file.