tty problem: only root and non-X get tty!

tty problem: only root and non-X get tty!

Post by Gil » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

    I have a strange problem:

    if I log in on a terminal (non-X) then "who" shows me the tty where I am
    logged in. The same happens if log in as root in X (xdm).

    When I log in as a normal user, the output of "who" is empty. Talk, write,
    etc. don't work on these "invisible terminals".

    What's happening?

    Thomer

Post by Ingvar Gilber » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>     if I log in on a terminal (non-X) then "who" shows me the tty where I am
>     logged in. The same happens if log in as root in X (xdm).
>     When I log in as a normal user, the output of "who" is empty. Talk, write,
>     etc. don't work on these "invisible terminals".

Sounds like your xterm's are not suid root. They must have root privileges
for writing the login slots to /var/run/utmp . Try

$ chown root /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
$ chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

HTH,
Ingvar
--
"Where were you last night?"  "That's so long ago, I don't remember."
"Will I see you tonight?"     "I never make plans that far ahead."

1. Getting the real tty device name (/dev/tty not good enough)

Does anyone have any handy code that works on Sun to dope out the real
device name of the controlling terminal for a process? /dev/tty is just
not good enough for what I need to do.

Send mail to me and I will summarize.

Thanks in advance.

--

Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine. Baylor College of Medicine

2. ls -d

3. problems with tty, U469036 - bos.rte.tty.4.3.2.9

4. XTERMINAL

5. How to restrict tty access to a single non-root user?

6. No sound in RH 7.3

7. How to map a tty port to another tty port

8. Scsh (a Unix Scheme shell) FAQ

9. creating tty's, mknod, stuck after boot with wrong tty - help

10. - can one change tty modes for tty not stdio ?

11. tty, tty... where art thou ...?

12. Good book on tty, pseudo tty, termio etc ?

13. new tty/old tty