resizing "growable" partitions

Post by Tadas Paegl » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to resize a growable partition in linux.  I have a
full 4GB HHD dedicated to linux.  Apparently I made my /opt too small.
I have kde and netscape on it now, but I want to install Sybase and it's
rpm wants to go there....my /usr/local dir have tons of room.  I was
either thinking of trying to force Sybase to go to a different dir
(can't figure that out) or taking some space from /usr/local and moving
it to /opt.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tadas

Post by D. Vrabe » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to resize a growable partition in linux.  I have a
> full 4GB HHD dedicated to linux.  Apparently I made my /opt too small.
> I have kde and netscape on it now, but I want to install Sybase and it's
> rpm wants to go there....my /usr/local dir have tons of room.  I was
> either thinking of trying to force Sybase to go to a different dir
> (can't figure that out) or taking some space from /usr/local and moving
> it to /opt.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

symlink /opt/sybase (or whatever) to a directory on /usr/local eg
/opt/sybase -> /usr/local/sybase

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

resizing "growable" partitions

Post by Mark Tranchan » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The horrible inelegant way would be to move, for example, /opt/kde to
/usr/local and add a symbolic link:

mkdir /usr/local/kde
cp -ar /opt/kde/* /usr/local/kde
rm -r /opt/kde
ln -s /usr/local/kde /opt/kde

Mark.

> Does anyone know how to resize a growable partition in linux.  I have a
> full 4GB HHD dedicated to linux.  Apparently I made my /opt too small.
> I have kde and netscape on it now, but I want to install Sybase and it's
> rpm wants to go there....my /usr/local dir have tons of room.  I was
> either thinking of trying to force Sybase to go to a different dir
> (can't figure that out) or taking some space from /usr/local and moving
> it to /opt.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

> Tadas

resizing "growable" partitions

Post by Jeremy Weinberge » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

To explicitly answer your question, "growable" when you are using disk
druid does not mean "modifiable without data loss at a later time". It
means "grow to fill all available space not taken by other partitions
while I am repartitioning" So you will either have to do the symlink
thing or convince rpm to install it somewhere else .. if there's a way,
it's in the rpm manpage.

jeremy

> Does anyone know how to resize a growable partition in linux.  I have a
> full 4GB HHD dedicated to linux.  Apparently I made my /opt too small.
> I have kde and netscape on it now, but I want to install Sybase and it's
> rpm wants to go there....my /usr/local dir have tons of room.  I was
> either thinking of trying to force Sybase to go to a different dir
> (can't figure that out) or taking some space from /usr/local and moving
> it to /opt.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

> Tadas

Death to the demoness Allegra Geller!

Jeremy Weinberger
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA

http://www.isp.nwu.edu/~jeremy

Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little
different immediately as they are expressed, a little distorted, a
little foolish. And yet it pleases me and seems right that what is of
value and wisdom to one man seems nonsense to another. -- Siddhartha,
Herman Hesse.