RedHat (Picasso) Sendmail problem: Can't send mail to id w/Cap Letter

Post by Kent Perri » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>In RedHat Picasso, I created a user with name (say), Jack.
>When I try to send mail to Jack, it bounces back.  When I change the ID to
>jack, it works (of course).

>This is absolutely repeatable.  Is there a fix?  Is there an updated RPM?

No and no.  In unix one of the "Rules" is that user names have to be lowercase
and (in general) less than 8 characters.  Of course, you do have the source so
you can give it ia shot and see if you can fix this "problem."

You may see people with their username capitalized in their email address, this
is probably accomplished via a sendmail rule.

Kent
--
Kent Perrier

Corporations don't have opinions, people do.  These are mine.
PGP 2.6 Public Key available by request and on key servers
PGP encrypted mail preferred!

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

In RedHat Picasso, I created a user with name (say), Jack.
When I try to send mail to Jack, it bounces back.  When I change the ID to
jack, it works (of course).

This is absolutely repeatable.  Is there a fix?  Is there an updated RPM?

Please post to the newsgroup - I don't read my email that often...

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

Post by Ryan Tucke » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> In RedHat Picasso, I created a user with name (say), Jack.
> When I try to send mail to Jack, it bounces back.  When I change the ID to
> jack, it works (of course).

> This is absolutely repeatable.  Is there a fix?  Is there an updated RPM?

Mixed-case usernames are pretty non-standard, and they can (and do)
break many programs, not just mail.  Avoid them.  -rt

--

President                   UUCP: ..!netins!ttgcitn!rtucker

              http://www.ttgcitn.com/~rtucker

What I said is what I said, not what anyone else said, so sue me.

RedHat (Picasso) Sendmail problem: Can't send mail to id w/Cap Letter

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

(I wrote about the inability of the sendmail in RH Picasso to deliver mail
to loginids containing capital letters)

Quote:

>No and no.  In unix one of the "Rules" is that user names have to be lowercase
>and (in general) less than 8 characters.  Of course, you do have the source so
>you can give it ia shot and see if you can fix this "problem."

This is certainly untrue, if expressed as a general rule.  I know of at
least one system where all the user logins are capitalized (ie., John, Mary,
Fred, etc) and mail works just fine.  And this machine is just running stock
SunOS 4.1.3, with no special mods.

That most things are generally in lower case in Unix is just a convention,
not a rule.  But, what you say above does seem to be true in RH (alas).

Quote:>You may see people with their username capitalized in their email address, this
>is probably accomplished via a sendmail rule.

Definitely not true in the case cited above.  (Since the cap'd form is used
to login, to "talk" to, etc.)

La plus belle fille du monde ne peut
donner que tout ce qu'elle a.

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

RedHat (Picasso) Sendmail problem: Can't send mail to id w/Cap Letter

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> In RedHat Picasso, I created a user with name (say), Jack.
>> When I try to send mail to Jack, it bounces back.  When I change the ID to
>> jack, it works (of course).

>> This is absolutely repeatable.  Is there a fix?  Is there an updated RPM?

>Mixed-case usernames are pretty non-standard, and they can (and do)
>break many programs, not just mail.  Avoid them.  -rt

I'd be interested to know what some of those programs are and on what
platforms.  I know, for example, that mixed-case usernames work just fine
under SunOS.

The Zapruder film was a*film.

Post by Russell Nels » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> In RedHat Picasso, I created a user with name (say), Jack.
> When I try to send mail to Jack, it bounces back.  When I change the ID to
> jack, it works (of course).

> This is absolutely repeatable.  Is there a fix?  Is there an updated RPM?

Switch to qmail.  There's an RPM in the contrib directory on ftp.redhat.com.

--

Crynwr Software sells network driver support    | PGP ok
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | The more corrupt the state,

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> This is absolutely repeatable.  Is there a fix?  Is there an updated RPM?

>Switch to qmail.  There's an RPM in the contrib directory on ftp.redhat.com.

I remember seeing qmail somewhere, but can't find it now.  Can you give a
pointer?  I looked on ftp.redhat.com, but could not find a contrib directory.

There.  Are you happy?  We want you to be happy.

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

1. sendmail problem. can't send mail.

        We just got our live connection, and we are trying to get our
server up and running, and we are having problems with sendmail. We have a
linux box as the server. At the moment, we can send mail, but we can't
receive any. Our sendmail.cf file should be OK, because somebody else was
able to use the same program on a different machine. Another problem is
you can telnet without specifying the port, but if you put port 25, you
get connection disconnected, and it looks like the daemon dies at that
moment.
        I checked the syslog file the other day, and it seems like we are
missing rsmtp file in /usr/bin. Where can I get a rsmtp file, any other
clues why we are experiencing problems? FYI, we are running slackware
linux
3.0

        Thanks,
        DAVID

2. First time install - help!

3. Question: Sendmail problem in solaris 2.3 can't send mail outside the system

4. qmail setup woes...

5. sendmail won't send mail in it's queue

6. What means 'activating' a Module?

7. Can send mail out but can't send mail in?

8. remote boot on Solaris 86

9. PIII No Id (message concerning Intel's new processor IDs sent accross net)

10. sendmail doesn't expand mail ids in Cc:

11. RedHat ES 3.0 send mail does sendmail need to be on

12. sendmail won't send mail