modules.dep is older than modules.conf

Post by root » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Ok I'm an extream nubbie.  I get "/lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep is
older than modules.conf.
This has happened after alot of changes when I was trying to install a
3c509b NIC.
I would like to just be pointed to the right info.  I don't mind the
rtfm, I just don't know which one to read.  Please help.

modules.dep is older than modules.conf

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:00:44 GMT, root

Quote:>Ok I'm an extream nubbie.  I get "/lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep is
>older than modules.conf.
>This has happened after alot of changes when I was trying to install a
>3c509b NIC.
>I would like to just be pointed to the right info.  I don't mind the
>rtfm, I just don't know which one to read.  Please help.

The fix is to run "depmod -a".  I forget which FM that was in, because
I've R'd so many of them that they've all blurred together.

BTW, it's not a good idea to be running as root unless it's really
necessary.  The rule is, "If you can do it as a normal user, then do so."
Posting to Usenet is certainly a normal-user thing....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

1. conf.modules vs. modules.conf & modules.dep??

Just upgraded my RH6.2 box to kernel 2.2.18 (in conjunction with
applying vpn masq patch).  Now I notice that it complains about
conf.modules, so I renamed this to conf.modules.old and made a copy as
modules.conf.  Now it complains that modules.conf is newer than
modules.dep.  And, in any case, it doesn't seem to load my modules
(specifically 3c509.o for ethernet).

My present workaround is just to manually invoke this module (modprobe
3c509) and restart /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (as well as dhcpd and
named), but I know there's gotta be a "Right Way" of doing this.

What's different between 2.2.18 and my old kernel (2.2.14-5.0) in
terms of handling these files?  And, more importantly, how do I
correct this situation?  Many thanks, in advance.

2. gcc -O2 (GCC 3.2.1) miscompiles Samba 2.2.7 on sparc

3. Note: conf.modules more recent that /usr/src/linux*/modules.dep message

4. No lpt0, no usb in cups on FreeBSD 5.0

5. modules.conf more recent than modules.dep

6. statistics for this mailinglist

7. 2.2.1 and modules -- modules.dep is empty

8. vmstat column

9. Patch?: module-init-tools/modprobe.c - use modules.dep

10. conf.modules & modules.conf

11. Diff b/t conf.modules and modules.conf

12. "can't find /lib/modules/preferred/modules-dep"

13. Can't open /lib/modules/2.0.0/modules.dep