Samba browsing problem

Post by Dave Calv » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I've got a linux machine, Redhat 5.0, running samba.  There are several
Win95 machines which share files with the linux machine.  My problem is
this:  If I go to Network Neighborhood in one of the Win95 machines, I can
see all the other Win95 machines, but not the Linux machine.  But, if I
sit there for a while and hit refresh, the Linux machine eventually shows
up.  Samba seems to work fine in all other respects.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Dave

Samba browsing problem

Post by bob » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

You can try what I do. Use right click on Network Neighborhood. Do Map
Network drive and select Linux machine(s). This puts them into My Computer.
Be sure to select "remount on boot up". Now Linux is always visible and
usable when 95 machines come up (if Linux is alive).
Assuming the network has been up for 3 minutes or more, you can usually
select view and refresh in Network Neighborhood and Linux will show up.

cheers...bob

Quote:> I've got a linux machine, Redhat 5.0, running samba.  There are several
> Win95 machines which share files with the linux machine.  My problem is
> this:  If I go to Network Neighborhood in one of the Win95 machines, I
can
> see all the other Win95 machines, but not the Linux machine.  But, if I
> sit there for a while and hit refresh, the Linux machine eventually shows
> up.  Samba seems to work fine in all other respects.

> Does anyone know how to fix this?

> Dave

Samba browsing problem

Post by Arthur Corli » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>You can try what I do. Use right click on Network Neighborhood. Do Map
>Network drive and select Linux machine(s). This puts them into My Computer.
>Be sure to select "remount on boot up". Now Linux is always visible and
>usable when 95 machines come up (if Linux is alive).
>Assuming the network has been up for 3 minutes or more, you can usually
>select view and refresh in Network Neighborhood and Linux will show up.

>cheers...bob

Actually, it seems that you guys might have the default configuration for
Samba, in which it loses all elections because of a rating of 0.  If you guys
up the rating, so that the Samba server becomes the master browser, as well
as enabling the server to initiate new elections whenever it comes on-line,
you might eliminate that problem.

        --Arthur Corliss
          "Live Free or Die--the Only Way to Live" (NH State Motto)

1. SAMBA Browsing Problem

Hi,

I am using samba 1.9.18p8 and I have the follwing problem:
I do not see the samba server in my workgroup.
I have only three Windows NT4 (SP3) clients.
The clients see themselves, but not the samba server.
The samba acts as WINS Server and all Clients
have the IP set to it as primary wins server.
Of course I can use the services (only two printers)
that are running on the samba server.
In a DOS Box "net view \\server" works probably.

what is rong? Below you see my smb.conf.

Greetings from SveN

[global]
   workgroup = HUHU
   guest account = SveN
   keep alive = 30
   security = share
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

   time server = yes

   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   os level = 65

   wins support = yes

[Canon]
    comment = Canon BJC-800
    path = /tmp
    read only = No
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    print ok = Yes
    share modes = No
    oplocks = No
    printer = bjc800-a4-raw

[Laser]
    comment = HP Laserjet 6MP
    path = /tmp
    read only = No
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    print ok = Yes
    share modes = No
    oplocks = No
    printer = PS_300dpi-a4-raw

2. Macromedia Flash 4 and Apache

3. Samba Browsing Problem

4. Netscape woes

5. Samba browsing problem

6. LDP System Admin manual

7. migrate from Solaris to Linux

8. Odd SAMBA browse problem...

9. LAN browsing/Gnomba/SAmba problem

10. Browsing Problems w/Samba

11. browsing hosts and shares with Samba - problems

12. Samba browsing across subnet problem!