pulling bandwidth data (snmp?) from off a single box with multiple IPs per interface

pulling bandwidth data (snmp?) from off a single box with multiple IPs per interface

Post by Kerry Co » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:47:46

The subject line says it all. I have several hosting boxes that are
broadcasting several different IP addresses for a single NIC. Management is
not satisfied with the bandwidth stats I am gathering from off the switch
and routers since the single port that that NIC plugs into shows the
cumulative data for the entire box. They want to see a more granular
representation of bandwidth data for each individual IP address.
I am currently using the latest MRTG with rrdtool and rateup for monitoring
the bandwidth on the ports of the switch and routers.
Does anyone know of a good tool that will allow more granular monitoring? If
this requires a tweak of SNMP on the Linux (using Red Hat 7.3 and 8.0 with
latest patches) side of things, does anyone have a good working snmpd.conf
file they wouldn't mind sharing? I've been through the samepl snmpd.conf
file and due to all the comments and my lack of familiarity, not certain
what to enable or disable to achieve this.
Thanks.

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 02:02:51

> The subject line says it all. I have several hosting boxes that are
> broadcasting several different IP addresses for a single NIC. Management is
> not satisfied with the bandwidth stats I am gathering from off the switch
> and routers since the single port that that NIC plugs into shows the
> cumulative data for the entire box. They want to see a more granular
> representation of bandwidth data for each individual IP address.
> I am currently using the latest MRTG with rrdtool and rateup for monitoring
> the bandwidth on the ports of the switch and routers.
> Does anyone know of a good tool that will allow more granular monitoring? If
> this requires a tweak of SNMP on the Linux (using Red Hat 7.3 and 8.0 with
> latest patches) side of things, does anyone have a good working snmpd.conf
> file they wouldn't mind sharing? I've been through the samepl snmpd.conf
> file and due to all the comments and my lack of familiarity, not certain
> what to enable or disable to achieve this.

Sadly, you don't get stats for "secondary" IP from a single NIC via snmpd,
AFAIK 'ifconfig' doesn't even show them. What about ntop (www.ntop.org),
you should be able to use 'exec' from snmpd.conf to call some external
script which gets the desired data from ntop, if snmp is easiest way
to get data from the system. Unsure if 'sar' shows those stats, I'd take
a look.

Good luck

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

1. Multiple IPs per interface

Is it possible to set multiple interfaces to the same address?  This would
give a degree of redundancy if one interface were to go down.  I would like
to configure the server so that one address could be used and whichever
interface was less busy took the traffic.

For example, one server had five network interfaces (eithernet, fddi, T1,
whatever).  DNS points to IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX as www.mysite.com.  I want that
IP available to all interfaces so whichever interface gets the data acts on
it.   I assume something like
this is done in high bandwidth sites.  How are web sites configured?  They
can't just have a T3 plugged into one server interface.

Any insite from high volume site administrators on how they are set up is
appreciated.

Joe

2. Masqdailer - can't find latest

3. Multiple DHCP-assigned IPs on a single physical interface?

4. downloading a list of files using lynx

5. Multiple IPs per eth?

6. CHGRP recursive - help

7. How do I bind multiple IPs per NIC?

8. dup2() and closing stdin, stdout and stderr

9. Multiple IPs to a single NIC ?????

10. assigning multiple ips for single e-card in solaris 2.5.1

11. multiple IPs on a single ethernet card

12. Multiple IPs on Single NIC using IFCONFIG

13. Per process, per user network bandwidth limiter