Realtime "internet phone" like voice software for Linux PPP connection

Realtime "internet phone" like voice software for Linux PPP connection

Post by Mike A. Harri » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

I've racked my brains trying to find voice software for Linux, all
I can find is "ethernet phone" and I don't have an ethernet
connection.  All I have is a 14.4k dialup PPP account, and I'd like
to talk to people over the internet via some kind of voice
mechanism.

1) Full duplex is not necessary
2) Small delays are just fine as long as the receiving end gets the
messages undistorted.
3) It doesn't need to be compatible with Internet Phone for windows,
or any other software (it can be proprietary) although compatibility
with those programs (cooltalk, and IPH) would be nice.

4) I'm going to primarily be using this program for talking to
my friends around the net, all of which have Linux, so that is
why it can be proprietary.

Please email replies to me if possible as I can't get the
newsgroup very often.

Thanks a million!
--
Mike A. Harris        |
http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris

The Art Bell homepage: http://www.artbell.com

[...]

1. Looking for "voice mail"/"answering machine" software

I'd like to find some software that I can run under eithe Linux or
NeXTSTEP to answer the phone and take messages for me. Pretty much
just some kind of "answering machine" software.

At the moment it doesn't need to be any more complex than to answer,
play a message, record a message, and email the recorded message to
me. Don't need any voice mail menu system or anything.

I've been getting people leaving messages on the answering machine in
my office meant for other people in my dept., and it would sure be
easy to get them their messages if I could just forward it to them
over email.

--
Chris Osborn, Network Administrator     Napa Valley College
707 253 3130 - Voice                    2277 Napa-Vallejo Hwy.

2. ANNOUNCE: KDE2 PreAlpha Binaries 02052000 Available

4. info about aix system admin exam

6. Where is ctags?

7. "Talk" or "phone" for System V...

8. Grafik-Karte erkennt keinen Monitor, nur LCD

9. "talk" or "phone" type program for system V ...

10. "talking" to a "real" phone via a modem?

11. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

12. Internet "phone" calls

13. ppp will not change to "PPP" after connection/authentication???