How to start a program when a Window Manager is started ?

How to start a program when a Window Manager is started ?

Post by tvn198 » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 05:14:48

do I put something like
exec command &
exec windowmanager

to the Xclient-defaults  file ?

I am using Blackbox and want to start the BBkeys whenever BlackBox is
started ... anyone has done this  ?

thanks

Post by BetrOffDe » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:16:23

> do I put something like
> exec command &
> exec windowmanager

> to the Xclient-defaults  file ?

> I am using Blackbox and want to start the BBkeys whenever BlackBox is
> started ... anyone has done this  ?

> thanks

Don't "exec" any but the last command, as nothing after the first exec
command will be run for the session.

So something like

command &
exec windowmanager

should work.

I don't use BB, so I won't be much help. I assume BB doesn't have any
form of session management(?)

You also didn't mention what distro you're using (they all seem to use a
slightly different configuration files system) and if its for a single
user, or system-wide. If your distro supports it, IMO, a better place for
the commands would be in xinitrc (possibly /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc) for
system-wide, or ~/.xinitrc on a per-user basis.

Post by M.J. Bl » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:29:56

> do I put something like
> exec command &
> exec windowmanager

> to the Xclient-defaults  file ?

> I am using Blackbox and want to start the BBkeys whenever BlackBox is
> started ... anyone has done this  ?

Put it in your ~/.xinitrc

My file:

$ cat .xinitrc

--
Menno

How to start a program when a Window Manager is started ?

thanks , I got it