HELP: Lost Linux after reinstalling windows'95

HELP: Lost Linux after reinstalling windows'95

Post by sri » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I deleted some files under Windows'95 while cleaning my folders
and inadvertently deleted some system files. After this Windows'95
refused to boot.

I had installed lilo so that I could boot with either Window's 95 or
Linux (RedHat 6.1). Window's 95 was my default operating system.
Since Window's 95 refused to boot, I created Window's 95 system disks
from my other computer (a laptop) and reinstalled it on my computer.
After I did this I do not get a "lilo" prompt and am unable to boot into
Linux.
I have the linux boot floppy disk but that does not help me either.
Can I really access Linux once again on my computer?

If any one of you encountered this problem before and has been able to
get access to Linux, please help me out without the procedure you used.
I am new to Linux and also to this newsgroup.

If there is a FAQ anywhere on the internet that deals with this problem,
please direct me to it.

thanks a lot.

regards,
Sri.

Post by Davi » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I deleted some files under Windows'95 while cleaning my folders
> and inadvertently deleted some system files. After this Windows'95
> refused to boot.

> I had installed lilo so that I could boot with either Window's 95 or
> Linux (RedHat 6.1). Window's 95 was my default operating system.
> Since Window's 95 refused to boot, I created Window's 95 system disks
> from my other computer (a laptop) and reinstalled it on my computer.
> After I did this I do not get a "lilo" prompt and am unable to boot into
> Linux.
> I have the linux boot floppy disk but that does not help me either.
> Can I really access Linux once again on my computer?

> If any one of you encountered this problem before and has been able to
> get access to Linux, please help me out without the procedure you used.
> I am new to Linux and also to this newsgroup.

> If there is a FAQ anywhere on the internet that deals with this problem,
> please direct me to it.

> thanks a lot.

> regards,
> Sri.

Use the boot disk you made during the installation of Linux and login as root.
Then enter in an xterm the command:

        lilo -v

Post by Anita Lew » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I deleted some files under Windows'95 while cleaning my folders
>and inadvertently deleted some system files. After this Windows'95
>refused to boot.

>I had installed lilo so that I could boot with either Window's 95 or
>Linux (RedHat 6.1). Window's 95 was my default operating system.
>Since Window's 95 refused to boot, I created Window's 95 system disks
>from my other computer (a laptop) and reinstalled it on my computer.
>After I did this I do not get a "lilo" prompt and am unable to boot into
>Linux.
>I have the linux boot floppy disk but that does not help me either.
>Can I really access Linux once again on my computer?

>If any one of you encountered this problem before and has been able to
>get access to Linux, please help me out without the procedure you used.
>I am new to Linux and also to this newsgroup.

>If there is a FAQ anywhere on the internet that deals with this problem,
>please direct me to it.

>thanks a lot.

>regards,
>Sri.

Are you saying that the boot floppy does not boot into linux?  Is that what
you mean when you say that it does not help you?

Anita

1. Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Hi,
        Has anybody ever had problems booting Linux after exiting
Windows 95 on a dual boot system using LILO?

I had a perfectly working dual boot system (Debian 2.0 / Win95) a few
days ago but after I installed a US Robotics 56k Plug N Play external
modem under Linux and then Win95 (both without problems) I couldn't
boot Linux off the hard-drive when the last boot-up was to Windows
95...

I don't think LILO is really failing since I get almost all the way
through the boot sequence before the computer simply resets itself
(like someone pushed the Reset switch) at the 'Loading vfat' line and
I am left watching the BIOS bootup screens.

So the order of events is like this:
1. Turn on machine; Get LILO boot: prompt.
2. Choose Windows 95; Win95 boots correctly.
3. Shut down Win95; Reboot machine; Get LILO boot: prompt.
4. Choose Linux; Watch boot messages (gets past HDD detection,
mounting drives, fsck)
5. Machine reboots itself when loadable modules line is displayed
6. Insert Linux bootable floppy made during inital installation.
7. Boot again; No LILO prompt (from hard-drive).
8. Boot correctly all the way.
9. Reinstall LILO; Reboot machine; Get LILO prompt.
10. Choose Linux; Boot correctly all the way.

This is so strange since this system worked perfectly before I
installed the 56k modem, which works great under both OS's! Why would
re-installing LILO fix the Loading vfat module problem? What does a
modem have to do with LILO?

Please give me any advice you can, I am losing my mind...

Thanks in advance,
Eric Hardwick

2. How to map IPv6-address to IPv4-address with Linux

3. We will lose (was: Windows 95 v. Linux)

4. How to keep process running after logout?

5. Linux vs. Windows 95: why we will probably lose

6. ICS + Linux

7. Reinstalling Windows 95

8. DHCPCD and Kernel 2.1.86

9. Upp'd to Win'95, lost LICO

10. Upp'd to Win '95, Lost LILO

11. Reinstalling windows 98 loses linux

12. HELP: getting usernames of Windows'95 users