Large IDE Drive

Post by Fred Oldenbu » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I am installing Linux on a WD 850M IDE on a 486/33i ISA bus machine.
When I fdisk prior to running setup, I am creating two partitions, one
below the 1024 limit and one above. fdisk then gives me a message about
cylinder start?

Am I safe in assuming that I will be ok as long as my boot partition is
under the 1024 limit?

I want to create another partition above 1024 for swap, and one for
something else.

Please Advise....Thank you.

1. Linux and large IDE drives on a standard ide system

Hi,
I have a Western Digital 540 mb hard drive, and a standard IDE card.  My
bios recognizes 1048 cylinders, but I have a standard IDE card, I'm
planning to use the whole hard drive for linux, since I have another one
for DOS, are there ways to use all the cylinders, because when I was
playing with the partition under dos, all it gave me was 500 mb, I would
appreciate the help

rami dass

2. How to programmatically determine IP address?

3. Large IDE drive and booting

4. How to add new driver to installation disk?

5. Large IDE drive troubles

6. Cirrus CLGD5480, Sony Trinitron monitor

7. Recommended block size on ext2fs & large IDE drive?

8. Bob Morton - Good Decision or Not?

9. compatibility of large IDE drive

10. LARGE IDE DRIVES + DM =(SOLUTION)= READ THIS

11. README about large IDE drives

12. Large IDE drive, can't install lilo

13. Help: Solaris 2.6/SPARC and large IDE drive support