Compiling Motif Prgms in Linux

Post by Mihai Georgi » Sat, 25 Mar 1995 09:17:45

Quote:> My question is can I get these
>libraries without becoming a developer and having to buy a commercial
>version of motif. I might become a developer at a later date but until
>then [....]

Motif is _commercial_ software, so you have to buy it or forget it.

However, applications _statically_ linked with Motif libraries may be free software. So,
if you like the "look and feel" of Motif, you still can have some free applications.
(Mosaic is a good example).

There is a Motif clone under development by a group called "The Hungry Programmers" but
it is still in the early stages.

Mihai

Compiling Motif Prgms in Linux

Post by Terrence W Mart » Sat, 25 Mar 1995 12:02:10

I have been tryin to compile several programs for my linux system. My
problem has been that all of the programs that I have found(those that
I want anyway :-) ) need Xm.h. As you may have already guessed I do
not have this file, also I am missing a few other files that I need to
compile these motif Xwindow programs. My question is can I get these
libraries without becoming a developer and having to buy a commercial
version of motif. I might become a developer at a later date but until
then I would like to use a few of these programs that I have found
:-). So if anybody knows where I can get these files I would greatly
appreciate it. Thanks

Terrence Martin

1. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

I use the Wingz spreadsheet under a SunOs 4.1.3 at work, and am trying
to set up a similar environment on my Linux system.  To do this I need
to compile Wingz external add-ins.

(Nice spreadsheet by the way. See the homepage at:
 http://www.wingz.com/Welcome.html)

The problem is that I am unable to link after compiling.  The add-in
code has no 'main', as it is in a file $WINGZ/lib/libwztools.a.  On
SunOs, doing a:

gcc -O -I$(WINGZ)/include -c TestFunc.c -o TestFunc.o
gcc -O -I$(WINGZ)/include -o great_zot TestFunc.o \
       -L$(WINGZ)/lib -lwztools -lm

works great, but under Linux the link fails with a message like:

/usr/lib/crt1.o (...) undefined symbol 'main'

'nm' shows 'main' as being defined in $WINGZ/lib/libwztools.a, so
I am at a loss to how to get this to compile.

        Linux Kernel:   1.3.99
        Wingz version:  1.4
        GCC version:    2.6

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun
Shaun Lawson           Tel:    [+81]3-5571-7388
Assistant Vice Pres.   WWW:    http://www.atrium.com/shaun

2. How do I modify groups for menus in AnotherLevel(fvwm95)?

3. Motif on Linux: How to compile?

4. Apache and 'couldn't spawn child process'

5. Wanted: Motif Libraries compiled for Linux PPC

6. 530 memory to 320?

7. Compiling Motif for Linux

8. Fastethernet for Linux

9. Anyone get xmcd-1.4 to compile/run under linux, X11R6, Motif 2.0??

10. Anyone compiled Motif 2.0 with linux, XFree3.1, gcc 2.6.3?

11. How to compile Motif on linux

12. Suggestion needed to compile motif on redhat linux 3.0.3 system

13. Compile Motif on Linux