Hostname problem

Post by Dagu » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I am getting a message at the very end of booting Linux(kernel version
1.2.9) that says "My hostname does not seem to exist". Could someone tell
me what the problem is and how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Karthik

Hostname problem

Post by Lu » Sat, 09 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I am getting a message at the very end of booting Linux(kernel version
: 1.2.9) that says "My hostname does not seem to exist". Could someone tell
: me what the problem is and how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

: Karthik

After some thinking, I suspect tat its the resolv.conf with the
nameserver line tat's giving the problem. If u r running on a
standalone and using SLIP which requires the resolv.conf, the system
could be confused whether it has a nameserver or not.

--
http://www.iscs.nus.sg/~lohcheek

Hostname problem

Post by Dan Capsh » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: : I am getting a message at the very end of booting Linux(kernel version
: : 1.2.9) that says "My hostname does not seem to exist". Could someone tell
: : me what the problem is and how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

: : Karthik

: After some thinking, I suspect tat its the resolv.conf with the
: nameserver line tat's giving the problem. If u r running on a
: standalone and using SLIP which requires the resolv.conf, the system
: could be confused whether it has a nameserver or not.

: --
: http://www.iscs.nus.sg/~lohcheek

1. *So* close (networking setup with IPX and hostname problems)

Actually, I'm really amazed at how easy RH52 was to install and setup on
my system - once I got the partitioning to work right and manually
installed all the packages, everything seems to be working great.  I
even managed to get my RTL8139 NIC talking over IP and can connect to
the outside world through my proxy server with NetScape.

This was almost too easy. :-)

I have just two apparent problems:

1.  I cannot seem to properly configure IPX services to start properly -
I've tried a large number of things and it seems the only way I can get
slist to return a server list is if I delete the internal IPX network
number and manually configure the ipx interface:

ipx_interface add eth0 802.2 0x84123002

For some reason, I cannot get this configuration item to stick during
configuration with linuxconf.

2.  As soon as I got the nic configured, my hostname changed to
UNKNOWN.  I've verified and reverified that the hostname is set in
/etc/HOSTNAME and the entry is in /etc/hosts as well.  I am receiving my
address by DHCP and wonder if there's something I need to configure in
my DHCP server (based on a NetWare 4.11 server) to get the hostname to
come through OK.  I've stepped through the S10network script and through
the ifconf-eth0 and ifup scripts and run the commands manually and it
*seems* to recognize everything properly.

Any suggestions on these two items would be *greatly* appreciated.  I've
searched the HOWTOs on both of these items, and haven't yet found
anything to indicate where either problem might be...

Thanks!

Jim

2. How to make changes to /etc/issue permanent?

3. Linux Hostname Problem

4. 2.5.63 and 3ware 7810 IDE raid controller

5. hostname problems

6. 2.4.21-rc5-ac2, kernel BUG at ide-iops.c:1262 (burning CD on IBM T30)

7. Newbie HOSTNAME problem

8. road runner and openbsd