Web Load Balancing with Linux

Post by Tracy Bedn » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Is there a package that will do web load balancing/distribution that
runs on Linux?

This is where 1 box distributes web requests to a server farm.

If any 1 would have any information on how to start a program like
this that would be appreciated.  I just need to know how to redirect
the packets, and adjust the ip address in the packet so that the
balancer get's all the requests, not the web servers.

Thanks,

- T

Web Load Balancing with Linux

Post by David Manda » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Round-Robin DNS?

Quote:>Is there a package that will do web load balancing/distribution that
>runs on Linux?

>This is where 1 box distributes web requests to a server farm.

>If any 1 would have any information on how to start a program like
>this that would be appreciated.  I just need to know how to redirect
>the packets, and adjust the ip address in the packet so that the
>balancer get's all the requests, not the web servers.

>Thanks,

>- T

Web Load Balancing with Linux

Post by Perry Donh » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

To expound a bit on David's answer... If you give multiple IP
addresses for a single FQDN in your DNS host file for the domain, DNS
will return the IP addresses in a round-robin fashion, i.e.if you have
three addresses, DNS will return 1, then 2, then 3, then 1, and so on.

It isn't strictly speaking load-balancing, but it will distribute the
load across several machines.

Systems like Digital's Alta Vista use a front-end processor that
hashes the incoming IP address to a unique server address so that you
get what appears to be a persistent connection to a particular server,
which increases the odds that what you want on subsequent queries will
be in cache.

Perry

    David> Round-Robin DNS?  In article

    >> Is there a package that will do web load balancing/distribution
    >> that runs on Linux?
    >>
    >> This is where 1 box distributes web requests to a server farm.
    >>
    >> If any 1 would have any information on how to start a program
    >> like this that would be appreciated.  I just need to know how
    >> to redirect the packets, and adjust the ip address in the
    >> packet so that the balancer get's all the requests, not the web
    >> servers.

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.kidpub.org/kidpub

1. How to load balance linux/apache web servers ??

We want to set up multiple web servers for a very active site... with a
single db server on the back end

How can we do load balancing for the web servers?

1 - Will Linux do it if properly configured?
2 - Is there an open source load balancing package?

thanks for any help - tmb

2. using part of linux partition in dosemu?

3. load balancing for web servers on linux

4. Koffice and calculations

5. How to load balance linux/Apache web servers ??

6. DNS Question

7. HA/load balancing web servers

8. AIX Sys Admin Exam - Request for Study Info

9. Load balancing, high availability web server software

10. Load-balancing web server software prevents site crashes!

11. web server load balance

12. load balancing web servers

13. LVS - load balancing 2 web servers