Java Web Server/Hot Java browser???

Post by Ken Kwasnick » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi Java fans,
        I've been trying to get the Java Web Server and HotJava
browser working in Linux without too much success. I've downloaded
all the packages and patches from www.blackdown.org and installed
per the instructions. With the HotJava browser I get a segmentation
fault, and with the server it appears to run the statup script
but nothing happens and no server process actually starts running.
        Has anybody gotten these to work, or had similar problems
to me? Thanks for any sugestions,
                Ken.

! Columbus Group Communications Inc.    http://www.columbus-group.com/ !
! Telephone: 604-801-5758       Fax: 604-801-5785                      !

Java Web Server/Hot Java browser???

Post by Robert Lync » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi-

I got the seg fault with HotJava, and in a big rush, I just patched
together this shell script which seems to work OK for me:
----------

#!/bin/sh
# 6-15-97 My best shot at a HotJava script!
export JAVA_HOME=
HOTJAVA_HOME=/usr/local/HotJava1.0
export CLASSPATH=.:/usr/local/HotJava1.0/lib/classes.zip
JAVA=/usr/local/jdk1.1.1/bin/java
exec $JAVA -noasyncgc -ms4m -mx32m -Dhotjava.home=$HOTJAVA_HOME
-Dwww.home=http:
//www.yahoo.com sun.hotjava.Main > /dev/null 2>&1 &
---------
Coupla things which account for the tacky nature of this script: I have
still got JDK 1.0.2 in the java directory, so I use the JDK 1.1.1 by
executing things from the jdk1.1.1 directory, after setting JAVA_HOME=
(nothing).

I have also put a line in the .java_wrapper, which echoes "using jdk1.1"
so I know which version of Java I am using, as I am an easily confused
person.

Hope this helps.

Bob L.
--

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rm*/
--

> Hi Java fans,
>         I've been trying to get the Java Web Server and HotJava
> browser working in Linux without too much success. I've downloaded
> all the packages and patches from www.blackdown.org and installed
> per the instructions. With the HotJava browser I get a segmentation
> fault, and with the server it appears to run the statup script
> but nothing happens and no server process actually starts running.
>         Has anybody gotten these to work, or had similar problems
> to me? Thanks for any sugestions,
>                 Ken.
> --

> ! Columbus Group Communications Inc.    http://www.veryComputer.com/!
> ! Telephone: 604-801-5758       Fax: 604-801-5785                      !

Java Web Server/Hot Java browser???

Post by David M. Co » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:02:01 -0700, Ken Kwasnicki

>    I've been trying to get the Java Web Server and HotJava
>browser working in Linux without too much success.

JDK 1.1.1 may require that you install different versions of some
libraries.  See the various READMEs.  There may be a way to do this
without breaking everything else, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Anyway, I got HotJava running by upgrading said libraries.  I did not find
it usable.  It renders pages well, but when you try to use the scrollbar
it freaks out.

Dave Cook

Java Web Server/Hot Java browser???

Post by Kirk Abbot » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have gotten so fed up with Hotjava and netscape* with trying to
get them to work under linux.... Seg faults and* my window
manager under RedHat linux.

Now I know why I like src code. I can at least try to track the
problem down. Things are so bad, that I use my NT box for browsing
and reading mail, stuff that I download I ftp my linux box.
And for reading man pages (everybody now seems to use .html pages) I
am still looking for a primitive html reader....

Kirk.

> > Hi Java fans,
> >       I've been trying to get the Java Web Server and HotJava
> > browser working in Linux without too much success. I've downloaded
> > all the packages and patches from www.blackdown.org and installed
> > per the instructions. With the HotJava browser I get a segmentation
> > fault, and with the server it appears to run the statup script
> > but nothing happens and no server process actually starts running.
> >       Has anybody gotten these to work, or had similar problems
> > to me? Thanks for any sugestions,
> >               Ken.
> > --

Java Web Server/Hot Java browser???

Post by Herb Boshi » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

re html
Try  look for lynx you might have it already.

This worked for me  lynx  file.html

AB>I have gotten so fed up with Hotjava and netscape* with trying to
AB>get them to work under linux.... Seg faults and* my window
AB>manager under RedHat linux.

AB>Now I know why I like src code. I can at least try to track the
AB>problem down. Things are so bad, that I use my NT box for browsing
AB>and reading mail, stuff that I download I ftp my linux box.
AB>And for reading man pages (everybody now seems to use .html pages) I
AB>am still looking for a primitive html reader....

AB>Kirk.

AB>> > Hi Java fans,
AB>> >       I've been trying to get the Java Web Server and HotJava
AB>> > browser working in Linux without too much success. I've downloaded
AB>> > all the packages and patches from www.blackdown.org and installed
AB>> > per the instructions. With the HotJava browser I get a segmentation
AB>> > fault, and with the server it appears to run the statup script
AB>> > but nothing happens and no server process actually starts running.
AB>> >       Has anybody gotten these to work, or had similar problems
AB>> > to me? Thanks for any sugestions,
AB>> >               Ken.
AB>> > --

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. Konqueror 'Send Link by Mail' to use Netscape Messenger??

3. Hot Java web browser

4. APACHE???

5. Communicator's Java breaks on Tarantella site, Hot Java's worse

6. MO + symbios 810a

7. Sun Web Server and JAVA Web Server

8. Backup logs

9. hot java browser

10. (Fwd) Another Java security bug - ALL JAVA BROWSERS (fwd)

11. Hot Java browser for Linux

12. hot java browser

13. Hot Java Browser